Renewed career in science for age 50+ (UK)

In summary, the individual is looking to transition back into a science-based career after working as a junior design engineer 15 years ago. They are currently pursuing a degree in Natural Science with a focus on math and physics, but are finding it difficult to secure a job without the degree. They also recognize that their age (50+) may be a barrier in finding the career they want and are seeking advice on potential options, with engineering on scientific projects being a possibility.
Roodles01
Having been a junior design engineer 15 years ago and moved out of that field I am looking to get back into a science based career.

I am taking a "Natural Science" degree with a maths/physics bias (lots of that) and can't seem to get any sensible job before I get this in place.

I used to use CAD packages a lot but have now missed sooo many versions and new innovations I definitely can't get back to that and I realize that at age over 50 it is going to be difficult to find what I want so what sort of advice could you give?

Physics news on Phys.org
A career as a scientist will be difficult. If you're 50+ now, you'll be around 58+ when you get your PhD, and 64+ when you complete your second postdoc, and will be going up for tenure when you are around 70+. A career as an engineer on scientific projects might be easier to achieve.

Related to Renewed career in science for age 50+ (UK)

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a renewed career in science at age 50+ in the UK?

There are several benefits to pursuing a renewed career in science at age 50+ in the UK. Firstly, there is a growing demand for experienced and skilled professionals in the science industry. This means that your expertise and knowledge will be highly valued and can lead to lucrative career opportunities. Additionally, many companies and institutions value the diversity and unique perspectives that older individuals bring to the workplace. Finally, pursuing a renewed career in science can also provide a sense of fulfillment and personal growth.

2. Is it too late to start a new career in science at age 50+ in the UK?

No, it is never too late to start a new career in science at age 50+ in the UK. Many successful scientists have started their careers later in life and have made significant contributions to their field. With dedication, perseverance, and a willingness to adapt and learn new skills, it is entirely possible to have a successful renewed career in science at any age.

3. What steps should I take to transition into a renewed career in science at age 50+ in the UK?

The first step is to assess your skills, experience, and interests to determine which areas of science you would like to pursue. You can then research job opportunities and the qualifications required for those roles. It may also be helpful to network with other professionals in the field and seek out mentorship or educational opportunities to update your knowledge and skills. Additionally, consider highlighting your transferable skills and experience in your resume and cover letter when applying for jobs in the science industry.

4. Are there any age-related challenges I may face in a renewed career in science at age 50+ in the UK?

While age discrimination can unfortunately exist in any industry, there are also many laws and policies in place to protect older workers in the UK. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, many companies and institutions value the experience and diversity that older individuals bring to the workplace. It is important to stay confident and showcase your skills and expertise during the job search process.

5. What resources are available to support a renewed career in science at age 50+ in the UK?

There are several resources available to support individuals pursuing a renewed career in science at age 50+ in the UK. These include career counseling services, networking opportunities, and mentorship programs. Additionally, there are also organizations and associations specifically for older professionals in the science industry, which can provide valuable support and resources. It is also helpful to stay updated on industry news and developments through publications, conferences, and online resources.