Remote Control Overhanging Table

So the normal force now has a lever arm, the distance from the edge to the center of mass, and produces a torque. In summary, the normal force at the edge of the table creates a torque that needs to be considered when calculating the maximum overhang distance for the remote control without tipping over when pressing the power button.
proace360

Homework Statement

A 0.090 kg remote control 24.2 cm long rests on a table, as shown in the figure below, with a length L overhanging its edge. To operate the power button on this remote requires a force of 0.460 N. How far can the remote control extend beyond the edge of the table and still not tip over when you press the power button? Assume the mass of the remote is distributed uniformly, and that the power button is on the end of the remote overhanging the table.

11-30.gif

Homework Equations

Torque=Nr

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the FBD, but I can't figure out how to implement the Normal force into my torque equation. It screws with my results!

Attachments

• 11-30.gif
    11-30.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
proace360 said:

Homework Statement

A 0.090 kg remote control 24.2 cm long rests on a table, as shown in the figure below, with a length L overhanging its edge. To operate the power button on this remote requires a force of 0.460 N. How far can the remote control extend beyond the edge of the table and still not tip over when you press the power button? Assume the mass of the remote is distributed uniformly, and that the power button is on the end of the remote overhanging the table.

11-30.gif

Homework Equations

Torque=Nr

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the FBD, but I can't figure out how to implement the Normal force into my torque equation. It screws with my results!
The normal force (like a see-saw) acts at the table edge when the remote is just about to tip. Sum torques about the edge of table; the Normal force won't enter into the equation when you sum torques about it. Don't forget the torque produced by the weight of the remote.

Why is it at the edge of the table? Wouldn't it be in the middle of the remote?

proace360 said:
Why is it at the edge of the table? Wouldn't it be in the middle of the remote?
The normal force occurs over the contact area between the remote and table; when the remote is just on the verge of tipping over, that contact is now just over one point: the table edge.

Related to Remote Control Overhanging Table

1. What is a remote control overhanging table?

A remote control overhanging table is a type of table that can be controlled and moved using a remote control. It typically has a motorized mechanism that allows the table to extend or retract its surface, making it useful for various purposes such as dining, working, or entertainment.

2. How does a remote control overhanging table work?

The table is equipped with a motor that is connected to the surface of the table. When the remote control is used, it sends a signal to the motor, which then moves the table surface in the desired direction. Some tables may also have additional features such as adjustable height or tilting capabilities.

3. What are the benefits of a remote control overhanging table?

One of the main benefits of this type of table is its versatility. It can be adjusted to different heights and positions, making it suitable for various tasks and activities. It also saves space as it can be easily stored when not in use. Additionally, it can be useful for individuals with mobility issues or for those who need to work or eat from bed.

4. Are there any safety concerns with a remote control overhanging table?

As with any motorized device, there are potential safety concerns. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the table responsibly. Keep the remote control out of reach of children and ensure that the table is stable and securely locked in place before use.

5. Can a remote control overhanging table be used outdoors?

It depends on the specific table and its materials. Some remote control overhanging tables are designed for outdoor use and are made with weather-resistant materials. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's recommendations before using the table outdoors to avoid damage or malfunction.