Relativity: Gravity pseudotensor, Gibbons-Hawking-York term

In summary, the gravity pseudotensor and the Gibbons-Hawking-York term have different roles in describing the energy and momentum of gravitational systems. The pseudotensor provides an overall description, while the Gibbons-Hawking-York term accounts for specific factors such as gravitational waves. The addition of the Gibbons-Hawking-York term affects the equations of motion in general relativity, allowing for a more complete understanding of gravitational dynamics. This term is also significant in the study of black holes and gravitational waves. However, it is not necessary for all solutions of the Einstein field equations. The Gibbons-Hawking-York term is closely related to the concept of gravitational energy, as it allows for its proper calculation by accounting
Bartolius
In our course on General Relativity the professor explained the linearized version of Einstein's Equation and the emission of gavitational waves, then made a little digression on the conservation of energy in a gravitational system. He showed that the search for a conserved object (Momentum tensor of matter is covriantly conserved, so it doesn't fit our search) leads to the contruction of a pseudotensor from the sum of the Momentum Tensor of matter and the non-linear part of Einstein's Tensor. Then he constructed conserved quantities from the integral over all our volume and showed that all the information on conserved quantities lives on the boundary (a holographic property).
My questions are:
1 did I understand the logical process or did i mess up something? I ask this because I borrowed some notes from a friend and he seems to have done a little mess with covariant and classical derivatives of tensors.

2 How the covariant conservation of Einstein's tensor implies the conservation of it's linear part? on my friends notes is written that it can be shown by series, I assume that the covariant conservation equation for Einstein's tensor must hold at every order, and the linear term only receives contribution from the divergence (non covariant for the Christoffels are first order) of the linear part of Einsteins tensor.

3 this is about another topic: I studied Hilbert-Einstein's action and the necessity of a correction in the form of the Gibbons-Hawking-York term, but I lack any example in which that term plays a relevant role: I read around the internet that it is important for the entropy of horizons, and that it reproduces the famous A/4 proportionality relation for the entropy of a Schwarzschild Black-hole, but nothing more. Where can I find more informations on the importance of this term?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!1) Your understanding of the logical process is mostly correct, but there may be some details that you are missing. It is possible that your friend's notes contain some mistakes, so it would be best to double check any information against other sources. 2) The covariant conservation of Einstein's tensor implies the conservation of its linear part because the conservation equation for Einstein's tensor holds at every order. This means that the linear term only receives contribution from the divergence (non-covariant for the Christoffels are first order) of the linear part of Einsteins tensor. 3) The Gibbons-Hawking-York term is important for calculating the entropy of horizons. It can be used to calculate the entropy of a Schwarzschild Black-Hole, and has been used to calculate the entropy of other kinds of horizons as well. Additionally, it can be used to study the behavior of black holes in different spacetime dimensions. You can find more information on the importance of this term by searching online for academic papers on the subject.

Related to Relativity: Gravity pseudotensor, Gibbons-Hawking-York term

1. What is the difference between the gravity pseudotensor and the Gibbons-Hawking-York term in relativity?

The gravity pseudotensor is a mathematical construct used to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a gravitational field, while the Gibbons-Hawking-York term is a surface term that is added to the Einstein-Hilbert action in order to account for the energy and momentum of gravitational waves. Essentially, the pseudotensor describes the overall energy and momentum of a system, while the Gibbons-Hawking-York term accounts for the specific energy and momentum of gravitational waves.

2. How does the Gibbons-Hawking-York term affect the equations of motion in general relativity?

The addition of the Gibbons-Hawking-York term to the Einstein-Hilbert action leads to the inclusion of the surface stress-energy tensor in the equations of motion. This tensor accounts for the energy and momentum of gravitational waves and allows for a more complete description of the dynamics of a gravitational system.

3. What is the physical significance of the Gibbons-Hawking-York term?

The Gibbons-Hawking-York term has important physical implications for the study of black holes and gravitational waves. It allows for the proper treatment of the energy and momentum of these phenomena, which is essential for understanding their behavior and effects on spacetime.

4. Is the Gibbons-Hawking-York term necessary for all solutions of the Einstein field equations?

No, the Gibbons-Hawking-York term is not necessary for all solutions of the Einstein field equations. It is only necessary in situations where there are non-trivial boundary terms, such as in the presence of black holes or gravitational waves.

5. How does the Gibbons-Hawking-York term relate to the concept of gravitational energy?

The Gibbons-Hawking-York term is closely related to the concept of gravitational energy. It is a mathematical tool used to calculate the energy and momentum of gravitational waves, which contribute to the total energy and momentum of a gravitational system. Without this term, the calculation of gravitational energy would be incomplete.