Relativistic Velocity Transformation: Diff. Operator Explained

In summary: So basically, the differential operator used in the derivative is just the infinitesimal version of the change in position and time. In summary, the relativistic equation for velocity was found by taking the limit of the ratio of infinitesimal changes in position and time, which is equivalent to dividing the infinitesimal changes in position and time. This can be seen through the Lorentz transformation equations and by considering the infinitesimal versions of the changes in position and time.
Daniel5423
I'm reading modern physics, Tipler 5th edition, pages 21 and 22, and I'm not understanding how the differentiation was done from the position to find the velocity.
Equation for position: x'= y(x - vt)
y is the gamma constant.

Then in the first step to find the velocity, a derivative was done:
dx'= y(dx - vdt)From the above equation, it was used to find the relativistic equation for velocity, and I understand that part. but what I don't understand is what the differential operator was is in the derivative, such as something like d/dt. If I take d/dt to both sides of the equation, then I do not see how the above equation was found. Could someone please explain to me what the differential operator was used to find the above equation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use [itex]dt'=\gamma(t-vx/c^2)[/itex], and divide dx' by dt' to get dx'/dt'=v'.

Take two nearby events, (x,t) and (x+dx,t+dt). In the primed frame the coordinates of these two events are (x',t') and (x'+dx',t'+dt'). The Lorentz transforms give you a relationship between x' and x and t, and between x'+dx' and x+dx and t+dt. Then you should be able to get the relationship you want.

Formally, you should probably start with x+Δx (etc) and then take the limit as Δ becomes infinitesimal. Generally physicists just assume that would work (because it always does in physically realistic situations), but that attitude tends to drive mathematicians to drink.

Likes sweet springs
Meir Achuz said:
[itex]dt'=\gamma(t-vx/c^2)[/itex]
I don't think this formula is correct. The RHS should have dt and dx or the LHS should not have dt'.

Daniel5423 said:
I'm reading modern physics, Tipler 5th edition, pages 21 and 22, and I'm not understanding how the differentiation was done from the position to find the velocity.
Equation for position: x'= y(x - vt)
y is the gamma constant.

Then in the first step to find the velocity, a derivative was done:
dx'= y(dx - vdt)From the above equation, it was used to find the relativistic equation for velocity, and I understand that part. but what I don't understand is what the differential operator was is in the derivative, such as something like d/dt. If I take d/dt to both sides of the equation, then I do not see how the above equation was found. Could someone please explain to me what the differential operator was used to find the above equation? Thanks.

Sounds like you're confusing the infinitesimal with the derivative.

First, the Lorentz transformation (using ##c=1##):

##\Delta x^\prime = \gamma (\Delta x - v \Delta t)##
##\Delta t^\prime = \gamma (\Delta t - v \Delta x)##.

Now, to find ##dx^\prime / dt^\prime##, there's a more "rigorous" way and there's a shortcut. The "rigorous" way is:

##\dfrac{dx^\prime}{dt^\prime} = \lim_{\Delta t^\prime \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{\Delta x^\prime}{\Delta t^\prime} = \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{\gamma (\Delta x - v \Delta t)}{\gamma (\Delta t - v \Delta x)} = \dfrac{\lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \left( \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} - v \right)}{\lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \left( 1 - v \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} \right)} = \dfrac{\frac{dx}{dt} - v}{1 - v \frac{dx}{dt}}##.

The shortcut is to regard ##dx^\prime## and ##dt^\prime## as infinitesimals in the first place—i.e., infinitesimally small "versions" of the finite changes ##\Delta x^\prime## and ##\Delta t^\prime##—and just divide them. So use ##d##'s instead of ##\Delta##'s in the first equations above:

##d x^\prime = \gamma (d x - v \, d t)##
##d t^\prime = \gamma (d t - v \, d x)##

and divide:

##\dfrac{dx^\prime}{dt^\prime} = \dfrac{ \gamma (d x - v \, d t)}{\gamma (d t - v \, d x)} = \dfrac{\frac{dx}{dt} - v}{1 - v \frac{dx}{dt}}##.

Likes sweet springs, PeroK and Orodruin
SiennaTheGr8 said:
Sounds like you're confusing the infinitesimal with the derivative.

First, the Lorentz transformation (using ##c=1##):

##\Delta x^\prime = \gamma (\Delta x - v \Delta t)##
##\Delta t^\prime = \gamma (\Delta t - v \Delta x)##.

Now, to find ##dx^\prime / dt^\prime##, there's a more "rigorous" way and there's a shortcut. The "rigorous" way is:

##\dfrac{dx^\prime}{dt^\prime} = \lim_{\Delta t^\prime \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{\Delta x^\prime}{\Delta t^\prime} = \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{\gamma (\Delta x - v \Delta t)}{\gamma (\Delta t - v \Delta x)} = \dfrac{\lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \left( \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} - v \right)}{\lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \left( 1 - v \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} \right)} = \dfrac{\frac{dx}{dt} - v}{1 - v \frac{dx}{dt}}##.

The shortcut is to regard ##dx^\prime## and ##dt^\prime## as infinitesimals in the first place—i.e., infinitesimally small "versions" of the finite changes ##\Delta x^\prime## and ##\Delta t^\prime##—and just divide them. So use ##d##'s instead of ##\Delta##'s in the first equations above:

##d x^\prime = \gamma (d x - v \, d t)##
##d t^\prime = \gamma (d t - v \, d x)##

and divide:

##\dfrac{dx^\prime}{dt^\prime} = \dfrac{ \gamma (d x - v \, d t)}{\gamma (d t - v \, d x)} = \dfrac{\frac{dx}{dt} - v}{1 - v \frac{dx}{dt}}##.

Thanks! That helped me understand it better.

Related to Relativistic Velocity Transformation: Diff. Operator Explained

1. What is the concept of relativistic velocity transformation in physics?

Relativistic velocity transformation is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe how the velocity of an object appears to change when observed from two different frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at high speeds. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is the differential operator used in the relativistic velocity transformation equation?

The differential operator, represented by the symbol "d/dt", is used to differentiate between the time coordinates of the two frames of reference. It is applied to the object's velocity in the first frame of reference to calculate its velocity in the second frame of reference.

3. What is the difference between the relativistic velocity transformation and the classical velocity addition formula?

The classical velocity addition formula, which follows the Newtonian mechanics, assumes that the speed of light is infinite and adds velocities linearly. In contrast, the relativistic velocity transformation takes into account the finite speed of light and adds velocities using a non-linear formula, resulting in different values for high speeds.

4. How does the relativistic velocity transformation explain the twin paradox in special relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity where one twin travels at high speeds while the other stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they would have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth. This is explained by the relativistic velocity transformation, which shows that time slows down for objects moving at high speeds, leading to the observed difference in age.

5. Can the relativistic velocity transformation be applied to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the relativistic velocity transformation applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their mass or speed. However, its effects are most noticeable for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. For objects moving at everyday speeds, the classical velocity addition formula can be used as it is a good approximation.