Relativistic Kinetic energy, momentum, speed.

In summary, the electron has a kinetic energy of 3.9872*10^-13 J and a momentum of 2.057*10^-12 kgm/s.
irre1evantt

Homework Statement

An Electron (rest mass=9.11*10^-31kg) is accelerated to an energy (mass energy+kinetic energy) of 30*10^6 eV (30 MeV). What is its kinetic energy? Its momentum? Its speed?
(Note: 1 eV = 1.602*10^-19 Joules; c=2.998 * 10^8 ms^-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so this problem was on a test that I missed and I have been trying to understand it/figure it out since then. I solved for Ek (kinetic energy) I believe. (Em= Mass energy; Ek = Kinetic Energy)
[/B]
Em + Ek = (3*10^6 eV)* ((1.602*10^-19 J)/(1eV))
=4.806 * 10^-13 J here I converted to Joules.

Then I solved for Em
Em = mc^2
=(9.11*10^-31 kg)(2.998 * 10^8 m*s^-1)^2
=8.188*10^-14 J

So, plugging into Em + Ek = 4.806*10^-13 J and rearranging to solve for Ek i get
Ek= 4.806*10^-13 J - Em
Ek= 4.806*10^-13 J - 8.188*10^-14 J
Ek= 3.9872 * 10^-13 J
I'm not too sure if I found Ek the accurate way.
Now, if I did, I'm a little lost in how to find my momentum and speed.
I know momentum is p = ymv = mv/(sqrt(1-(v/v)^2)) with y being gamma
and I believe after using that to find my momentum I can find velocity by rearranging the Ek equation of
Ek = (1/2)mv^2 to v= sqrt(2Ek/m)

Im just not sure if I'm heading in the right direction. A little guidance would be truly appreciated. Also, I wasn't sure where to post this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a lot of point converting to Joules: you are just making work for yourself and adding a way to make mistakes.
What is wrong with all energies in keV and speeds as a fraction of the speed of light.

Thus total energy E is given by: ##E = \gamma E_0## ... E0 is the rest mass energy of an electron - which is 0.511 keV or 0.000511MeV and gamma is given by ##\gamma=(1-v^2)^{-1/2}##, with v as the fraction of the speed of light.

Kinetic energy T is then: ##T=E-E_0## and the energy-momentum relation is: ##E^2-E_0^2+p^2##

But otherwise you did OK: KE is the difference between total and rest energy.
Momentum is found from the energy-momentum relation.
You can use the equation above for unified units, for SI units it becomes:
$$E^2=E_0^2+p^2c^2$$

Agh, yes I see. Thank you so much!

NO worries, welcome to PF.

Related to Relativistic Kinetic energy, momentum, speed.

1. What is relativistic kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy is the energy possessed by a particle due to its motion at relativistic speeds. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the energy of a moving particle.

2. How is relativistic kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating relativistic kinetic energy is E = (γ - 1)mc^2, where γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the mass of the particle, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the increase in energy as a particle approaches the speed of light.

3. What is the relationship between relativistic kinetic energy and momentum?

Relativistic kinetic energy and momentum are closely related, as both quantities are affected by the speed of a particle. As a particle's speed approaches the speed of light, its momentum and kinetic energy increase drastically.

4. Can relativistic kinetic energy be negative?

No, relativistic kinetic energy cannot be negative. This is because the Lorentz factor, which is a crucial component in the formula for calculating relativistic kinetic energy, is always greater than or equal to 1. This means that the energy of a particle can never be negative, even at relativistic speeds.

5. How does relativistic kinetic energy differ from classical kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy differs from classical kinetic energy in that it takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as the increase in energy as a particle approaches the speed of light. Classical kinetic energy is based on Newtonian mechanics and does not consider these relativistic effects.