Relativistic Energy Derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Relativistic Energy equation using the chain rule and simplifications. There is also a discussion on how to solve a specific integral using a substitution.
Calu
Whilst reading following a derivation of the Relativistic Energy equation I came across the following:

d/dt[mu/(1-u2/c2)1/2] = [m/(1-u2/c2)3/2] du/dt.

I was wondering how that step was done.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just the chain rule and then some simplifications.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
This is just the chain rule and then some simplifications.

I see it now, thanks.

Okay, so I now have:

d/dt[mu/(1-u2/c2)-1/2]

= m((1-u2/c2)-1/2) + mu(-u/c2).(1-u2/c2)-3/2

I'm not sure how to simplify from here, any hints?

I have no clue, how you came to this derivative. First write the whole thing a bit more clearly with LaTeX:
[tex]E=\frac{m c^2}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}.[/tex]
Here, [itex]m[/itex] is the invariant mass of the particle and [itex]u=|\vec{u}|[/itex] the usual (non-covariant) velocity with respect to the computational (inertial) frame.

Now taking the derivative with respect to time, you indeed just have to use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} E}{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{\mathrm{d} \vec{u}}{\mathrm{d} t} \cdot \vec{\nabla}_{u} E.[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Calu is calculating dp/dt using the product rule, but there's a typo, an extra negative sign in the first line. There's another sign error in the second line.

Likes 1 person
Derivation of Relative Energy Equation

I have no idea how to write in Latex, sorry, I'll type out the entire thing:

Assume m and c are constants.

W = ∫x2x1 F . dx = ∫x2x1 dp/dt . dx

dp/dt = d/dt [mu . (1-u2/c2)-1/2]

by the product rule:

dp/dt = m(1-u2/c)-1/2) + mu.(1-u2/c)-3/2 . (-u/c2)

Then as γ = (1-u2/c)1/2

dp/dt = m (γ - u/c23))

I'm not sure how to simplify to get the intended answer of m(1-u2/c)-3/2 . du/dt

Last edited:
I forgot to point out another error. You've differentiated with respect to u, not with respect to t.

You've differentiated with respect to u, not with respect to t.
Well that is easy to fix as m and c do not depend on t, but it is important to get it right.

You can combine both fractions to a single one if you expand the first one (the one that gives γ). Then simplify and you get the right result.

What do you mean by expand? Sorry I'm very confused.

Not quite. You're still have an algebra mistake. The factor of 2 in the second term shouldn't be there.

@vela: Which factor of 2?

Calu said:
What do you mean by expand? Sorry I'm very confused.
Expand the fraction

Combining two fractions to a single one is taught several years before special relativity, you should know how to do that.

mfb said:
Calu had posted another attempt but edited it out or deleted the post after I replied.

mfb said:

Expand the fraction

Combining two fractions to a single one is taught several years before special relativity, you should know how to do that.

Oh I see, we don't call that "expanding" a fraction, sorry for the confusion.

Also I edited the post because I thought it easier just to continue with what we had.

EDIT: I'm sorry but could you help me out? I'm not sure what I'm meant to do. And as far as I know we have been taught little about "expanding" fractions as we are usually told to simplify (reduce) them. I can't think of a time I've been asked to do the opposite. Usually to combine 2 fractions I would cross multiply to get a common denominator.

Let me just step away from this a second, because I have done the above (cross multiplied and found a common denominator) and have arrived at an answer similar to one I arrived at earlier but decided I could go no further.

The answer I have is as follows:

dp/dt = m [γ - u2/c23)]

Is there a way to take out a factor of (1-u2/c2) (i.e. γ2) from this? Or am I completely wrong?

And I'll post my result from combining the fractions:

[m(1-u2/c2)3/2) - m(u2/cc)(1-u2/c2)1/2)] / (1-u2/c2)2

Which when we replace with γ is:

m(γ3 - (u2/c2)γ)

which as I said is similar to the answer I got earlier.

Last edited:
Calu said:
The answer I have is as follows:

dp/dt = m [γ - u2/c23)]

Is there a way to take out a factor of (1-u2/c2) (i.e. γ2) from this?
First take a factor of ##\gamma## outside. Then rewrite the ##\gamma## that remains on the inside in terms of u. Then simplify and think about what the simplified result looks like.

Edit: I don't think that minus sign is correct.

Last edited:
Right, so I finally did this after going back and differentiating wrt t as I was supposed to.

d/dt [mu(1-u2/c2)-1/2]

= m.du/dt.(1-u2/c2)-1/2 + (-1/2)mu((1-u2/c2)-3/2.2u/c2.du/dt

=m.du/dt.(1-u2/c2)-1/2 + u2/c2.m.((1-u2/c2)-3/2.du/dt

= m(1-u2/c2 + u2/c2)(1-u2/c2)-3/2).du/dt

=m(1-u2/c2)-3/2).du/dt as required.

Also, how would I solve:

m ∫uo [u(1-u2/c2)-3/2] . du

Would it be integration by parts?

Last edited:
Looks good except that in the second line, 2u/c^2 should be (-2u/c^2), and there's also a left parenthesis too many.

No need to use integration by parts. You're supposed to write the integrand in a form that enables you to just use the formula ##\int_a^b f'(x)dx=f(b)-f(a)##.

The work can be expressed as ##\int_0^u mu\gamma^3\mathrm du## or as ##\int_0^t mu\gamma^3\dot u\mathrm dt##. Does either of the integrands look like a derivative?

I'm not sure how you would decide whether something "looks like" a derivative.

What I meant is that you will have to see that at least one of them is a derivative. Is either of the integrands equal to a derivative that you calculated earlier?

I managed to perform the integration by using a substitution of z = 1 - u2/c2.

I still don't see how either is equivalent to a derivative I calculated earlier though.

OK, I see that it's more difficult to see in your approach than in the one I've been using (because mine involves a calculation of ##\dot\gamma##):
\begin{align}
&\dot\gamma =\gamma^3u\dot u\\
&\dot p=\frac{d}{dt}(\gamma m u) =\dot\gamma m u+\gamma m\dot u =\dots=\gamma^3m\dot u\\
&W=\int F\mathrm dx =\int \frac{dp}{dt}u\mathrm dt =\int\gamma^3 m\dot u u\mathrm dt =\int\frac{d}{dt}(m\gamma)\mathrm dt.
\end{align} I have done this calculation a few times before, but it has actually never occurred to me that you can finish it with a simple variable substitution.

Edit: Here's another way:
$$W=\int \frac{dp}{dt}u\mathrm du =\int\gamma^3 m u\mathrm du =\int\frac{d}{du}(m\gamma)\mathrm du.$$

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Oh yes that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks very much to all of you!

Related to Relativistic Energy Derivation

1. What is the concept of relativistic energy?

The concept of relativistic energy is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that energy and mass are interchangeable and are both components of a larger quantity called "relativistic energy." This energy includes both the traditional kinetic energy and the energy associated with an object's mass.

2. How is relativistic energy derived?

Relativistic energy is derived using the formula E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This formula shows that an object's energy is directly proportional to its mass and the square of the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in the derivation of relativistic energy?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in the universe and plays a crucial role in the derivation of relativistic energy. This is because the speed of light is the maximum possible speed at which energy and information can travel, and it is a key factor in determining the relationship between energy and mass.

4. How does relativistic energy differ from classical energy?

Relativistic energy differs from classical energy in that it takes into account the effects of an object's mass and its speed, while classical energy only considers an object's speed. Relativistic energy is a more comprehensive and accurate concept, especially when dealing with objects traveling at high speeds, where the effects of mass become significant.

5. Can relativistic energy be observed in everyday life?

Yes, relativistic energy can be observed in everyday life, although its effects may not be noticeable unless dealing with extremely high speeds. For example, in particle accelerators, the energy of particles is greatly increased, and their relativistic energy becomes significant. Relativistic energy is also observed in the energy released during nuclear reactions and in the motion of objects traveling at high speeds in space.