Relativistic elastic scattering in CM and Breit frames

In summary, the energy in the Breit frame is related to the momentum of the system and the scattering angle is related to the relative masses/energies of the particles.
yelneerg

Homework Statement

Take the case of elastic scattering (A+B -> A+B); if particle A carries energy EA', and scatters at an angle θ, in the CM (center of mass/momentum frame), what is its energy in the Breit* frame? Find the velocity of the Breit frame (magnitude and direction) relative to the CM.

*The Breit frame (or 'brick wall' frame) is the system in which A recoils with its momentum reversed (pafter = -pbefore), as though it had bounced off a brick wall.

Homework Equations

(Note: bold letters are 3-vectors, letters with a subscript x, y or z are vector components, and letters with a super or subscript μ are contravariant and covariant 4-vectors respectively.)

pμ = (E/c,px,py,pz)

Lorentz transformations for momentum and Energy
E/c = γ(E'/c - β*px')
px = γ(px' - β*E'/c)
py = py'
pz = pz'

(Where β = v/c and γ2 = 1/(1-β2)

Lorentz Invariant
pμ*pμ = E2/c2 - p2 = m2c2
or in the more common form:
E2 = p2c2 + m2c4

Maybe more, I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

So in the CM frame the scattering angle is related to the relative masses/energies of the particles and since we "know" the energy of particle A in the CM we can say that the scattering angle, θ, is related to the total energy/mass of the system. This means I can write a set of 4 equations of the following form:

|pAf'|*cos(θ) = pAfx'

Which might be useful...

In the CM I can say that the total momentum 4-vector

pμTOT' = ((EA' + EB')/c,0)

and in the Breit frame

pμTOT = ((EA + EB)/c,pA)

I think if I were to take the inner product of each of the total momentum 4-vectors with itself I could set the results equal to each other... Maybe mass comes in handy since B initially only has rest mass in the Breit frame?

Somehow I need to get γ so I can do the second part of the question...

I feel like I'm close to some pivotal revelation, just not seeing it. There are so many unknowns I'm not sure how to start reducing the number of unknowns I'm dealing with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, so after spending several more hours on this I think the key is to take the inner product of the initial and final momentum 4-vectors in each frame and set them equal:

Let p and q represent the initial and final momentum of particle A (with primes to indicate CM frame and non-prime as breit frame).

pμqμ = p'μq'μ

Now this comes out to:

E2 - p*q = E'2 - p'*q'

(Where E is the energy of particle A and * is the dot product)

From here it all works out (using the definition of dot product and some trig identities)

!HOWEVER!

This is ASSUMING that the initial and final energies of particle A are equal. CAN I ASSUME THIS?? It is a relativistic elastic collision so mass of each particle is conserved, total energy is conserved, KE is conserved, and momentum is conserved. I feel like there is a reason I can say that energy of A initial = energy of A final, but I can't quite come up with a reason that convinces myself. If someone can give me a good reason that I can say that, then the rest of this problem I can do.

Well, m^2=E^2-p^2. As you said m doesn't change, and in the Breit frame |p| doesn't change. So E can't change. In general, a "brick wall" can absorb momentum, not energy. How's that?

Related to Relativistic elastic scattering in CM and Breit frames

1. What is relativistic elastic scattering?

Relativistic elastic scattering refers to the process in which two particles collide and then scatter away from each other without any energy being transferred to other particles. This process takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. What are the CM and Breit frames in relativistic elastic scattering?

The CM (center-of-mass) frame is a reference frame where the total momentum of the system is zero. In relativistic elastic scattering, it is useful for analyzing the scattering process from the point of view of an observer at rest in this frame. The Breit frame is another reference frame that is commonly used in this type of scattering, where the total momentum of the system is not zero but is instead equally shared between the two colliding particles.

3. How do the CM and Breit frames differ in relativistic elastic scattering?

In the CM frame, the two colliding particles have equal and opposite momenta, while in the Breit frame, the particles have equal and parallel momenta. Additionally, the kinetic energy of the particles is equal in the CM frame, but not in the Breit frame.

4. What is the advantage of using the CM frame in relativistic elastic scattering?

The advantage of using the CM frame is that it simplifies the analysis of the scattering process. In this frame, the equations for energy and momentum conservation are simpler, making it easier to calculate the final momenta and scattering angles of the particles.

5. How is the scattering angle calculated in relativistic elastic scattering?

The scattering angle can be calculated using the formula θ = arccos((1 + cos ϕ)/2), where θ is the scattering angle and ϕ is the angle between the initial and final momenta of the particles. This formula applies to both the CM and Breit frames in relativistic elastic scattering.