Relative velocity of accelerating and non accelerating particles

In summary, particle A and particle B start at the same point and move along two straight lines with uniform velocity and uniform acceleration respectively. The angle between the lines of motion is denoted as α. The minimum value of relative velocity between the two particles can be found at the time given by (b) ##vcos\alpha/a##. This can be derived by finding the components of the relative velocity vector and minimizing its magnitude. The solution provided by the textbook is reliable and can be proven using differentiation.
Hijaz Aslam
Q. Two particles start simultaneously from the same point and move along two straight lines, one (particle A) with uniform velocity v and other (particle B) with a uniform acceleration a. If ##\alpha## is the angle between the lines of motion of two particles then the least value of relative velocity will be at time given by:

(a) ##vsin\alpha/a## (b) ##vcos\alpha/a## (c) ##vtan\alpha/a## (d) ##vcot\alpha//a##

My text gives the answer as (b) ##vcos\alpha/a## . I think they reached at the answer as follows:

At an instant (the instant when the relative velocity is minimum; let's say) V=at, therefore ##vcos\alpha-V=0## where 0 is the shortest relative velocity (assumed). Therefore ##vcos\alpha=at## or ##t=vcos\alpha/a##.

But this answer seems unconvincing. It is not necessary that for the relative velocity to be minimum the component of velocity of the 'A' (which attains a constant velocity) should be equal to the velocity of the 'B' (which has the constant acceleration) at a particular instant. Can anyone provide the precise solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Hijaz Aslam. In future be sure to use the posting template for homework questions. It's a Physics Forum rule.

Can you write an expression for the relative speed versus time (or more simply, the square of the relative speed)? If so, how does one usually go about minimizing a function?

gneill - Sorry about that. I didn't know. My Bad.

I am afraid, I didn't get what you said. Can you be more precise please?

Suppose particle A's line lies along the x-axis and particle B's line is at angle α to the x-axis. Both particles start out at the origin. Can you write expressions for the x and y components of the velocities of both particles?

If you can, then can you find the components of the relative velocity vector?

gneill said:
Suppose particle A's line lies along the x-axis and particle B's line is at angle α to the x-axis. Both particles start out at the origin. Can you write expressions for the x and y components of the velocities of both particles?

If you can, then can you find the components of the relative velocity vector?
Yes, I think at the instant when the relative velocity is least we have the velocity of particle 'B' as : ##(atcos\alpha)\hat{i}+(atsin\alpha)\hat{j}##

And the relative velocity of 'B' with reference to 'A' is given by ##v_{BA}=v_{B}-v_{A}## so we have: ##v_{BA}=(atcos\alpha-v)\hat{i}+(atsin\alpha)\hat{j}##

And the magnitude ##|v_{BA}|=a^{2}t^{2}-2avtcos\alpha+v^{2}##. Solving the quadratic to find time gives: ##t=(cos\alpha\pm isin\alpha)/av##. NOW WHAT?

Am I correct so far?

Actually what you have is the square of the magnitude of the relative velocity. Which is perfectly fine! When one is minimized then so it the other.

Rather than solve for the time, what you want to do is find when this magnitude is minimized, right? How do you go about finding where a function has a minimum?

Of course we differentiate it (silly me, I forgot the minimum part) , then equate it to zero ie : ##2a^2t+2av-2a^2tcos\alpha-2avcos\alpha=0##
=> ##at+v-atcos\alpha-vcos\alpha=0## , simplifying we get ##at+v=0## or ##t=-v/a##. And Wallah! That's a wrong answer :( Am I wrong somewhere?

(BTW I didn't consider the denominator of the differential coefficient, because of course it gets transported into the right hand side which is zero. And isn't the acceleration constant? So we don't have to consider the D.C of 'a'. Do we? ).

Last edited:
I'm not following how you arrive at your derivative with respect to time of the squared magnitude.

You have ##| V_{BA} |^2 = a^2 t^2 - 2 a v cos(\alpha) t + v^2## to start with. What's the derivative w.r.t. time?

Hijaz Aslam said:
Of course we differentiate it (silly me, I forgot the minimum part), then equate it to zero ie : ##2a^2t+2av-2a^2tcos\alpha-2avcos\alpha=0##
I don't see how you got that from differentiating your expression for the square of the relative velocity.
With regard to the textbook explanation, the thing to notice is that the relative velocity perpendicular to B's path is constant, so it reduces to minimising the component parallel to B's path.

gneill - I have use ##|V_{BA}|=\sqrt(a^2t^2-2avtcos\alpha+v^2)## itself. See differentiating ##|V_{BA}|## w.r.t we have:

##(2a^2t-2avcos\alpha-2a(dv/dt)tcos\alpha+2v(dv/dt))/2\sqrt(a^2t^2-2avtcos\alpha+v^2)####(2a^2t-2avcos\alpha-2a^2tcos\alpha+2av)/2\sqrt(a^2t^2-2avtcos\alpha+v^2)## . To find the minimum of this value (which is ##|V_{BA}|##), we equate it to zero, so we have: ##2a^2t-2avcos\alpha-2a^2tcos\alpha+2av## . I have skipped the above steps. (NOTE: I've differentiated the above presuming that the acceleration is constant. Is that assumption correct?) (I've also used ##dv/dt=a##)

You've made your life unnecessarily complicated by including the square root :smile: Minimize f(x)2 and you minimize f(x) too.

Note that a and v are not related to each other in this problem, and that both are constants, not variables. Certainly ##dv/dt## is not a.

Oh my.. blimey...I've never made such a blunder in my learning career, I don't know what's got into my head lately. Of course v is a constant and...OMG how did I even think about it: Of course yes so you have ##2a^2t-2avcos\alpha=0## that is ##t=v/acos\alpha##. Thank you very much gneill, my brain's all shut down. Sorry for wasting your time with such a silly mistake. Thank you gneill. (I really appreciate your method of squeezing out the answer from the questioner itself, it made me understand the whole concept myself. And I like that TARDIS D.P..I am a Whovian :D ) Thanks again.And one more thing (I'm sorry) : Is that solution I gave in the beginning which takes ##vcos\alpha=at## and then proving that ##t=vcos\alpha/a## a reliable one? Or is it just coincidentally correct?

haruspex said:
I don't see how you got that from differentiating your expression for the square of the relative velocity.
With regard to the textbook explanation, the thing to notice is that the relative velocity perpendicular to B's path is constant, so it reduces to minimising the component parallel to B's path.
haruspex - Do you mean that we can arrive at the answer by taking : ##vcos\alpha=at## and hence ##t=vcos\alpha/a##? Can you please explain what you've mentioned?

Hijaz Aslam said:
...(I really appreciate your method of squeezing out the answer from the questioner itself, it made me understand the whole concept myself. And I like that TARDIS D.P..I am a Whovian :D ) Thanks again.
You're welcome. I'm a big fan of The Doctor too.
And one more thing (I'm sorry) : Is that solution I gave in the beginning which takes ##vcos\alpha=at## and then proving that ##t=vcos\alpha/a## a reliable one? Or is it just coincidentally correct?
Offhand I can't think of a good obvious argument for assuming ##vcos(\alpha)=at## means the relative velocity is minimized, other than it follows from the correct solution :smile:

gneill said:
Offhand I can't think of a good obvious argument for assuming ##vcos(\alpha)=at## means the relative velocity is minimized, other than it follows from the correct solution :)
As I wrote in post #9, it's valid because the rel velocity perpendicular to B's path is constant, so it's just a matter of minimising the component parallel to B's path.
In fact, the problem can be generalised in a couple of ways. If the variable speed is w=w(t) then the minimum rel velocity occurs when ##vcos(\alpha)=w(t)##.
Neither is it specific to velocity and acceleration. The same equations apply if you drop the d/dt down a level, i.e. change velocities to displacements and accelerations to velocities (in which context, the answer is rather more obvious).

lAzJ47S.png

haruspex - Do you mean the relative velocity perpendicular to B or A? Please consider the above diagram.

Hijaz Aslam said:
lAzJ47S.png

haruspex - Do you mean the relative velocity perpendicular to B or A? Please consider the above diagram.
Perpendicular to B's path, as I wrote. What is the component of the relative velocity in that direction? Is it not constant?

Alright, Yes as B doesn't have any components towards its perpendicular, Component of relative velocity in its perpendicular direction is constant. Alright so the only velocity in consideration is the one parallel to B. Got it!

So we can't say that ##atcos\alpha=v## gives the minimum relative velocity because, the perpendicular relative velocity of 'A' is not constant. Isn't it?

gneill said:
You're welcome. I'm a big fan of The Doctor too.

Offhand I can't think of a good obvious argument for assuming ##vcos(\alpha)=at## means the relative velocity is minimized, other than it follows from the correct solution :)
gneill - harupex above has got an explanation for the method I've mention in the beginning. It's far simpler. Your method made the concepts clear for me though. :) Thanks

Hijaz Aslam said:
Alright, Yes as B doesn't have any components towards its perpendicular, Component of relative velocity in its perpendicular direction is constant. Alright so the only velocity in consideration is the one parallel to B. Got it!

So we can't say that ##atcos\alpha=v## gives the minimum relative velocity because, the perpendicular relative velocity of 'A' is not constant. Isn't it?
That's right, the situation is not symmetric.

Thanks harupex.

Hijaz Aslam said:
And Wallah! That's a wrong answer :( Am I wrong somewhere?
wallah: a native or inhabitant of a specified place or a person concerned or involved with a specified thing or business. "a rickshaw-wallah"

voila: an exclamation meaning “there it is” or “there you are”. From the French voilà = "here it is!"

Baluncore said:
From the French voilà = "here it is!"
Almost. Voilà = "look there!", Voici = "look here!"

Likes Baluncore

Related to Relative velocity of accelerating and non accelerating particles

1. What is the difference between accelerating and non-accelerating particles?

Accelerating particles are objects that are changing their velocity, either by increasing or decreasing their speed, or by changing their direction of motion. Non-accelerating particles, on the other hand, have a constant velocity and are not experiencing any changes in their motion.

2. How does acceleration affect the relative velocity of particles?

Acceleration can affect the relative velocity of particles in two ways. If the particles have the same acceleration, their relative velocity will remain constant. However, if the particles have different accelerations, their relative velocity will change over time.

3. What is the formula for calculating the relative velocity of accelerating and non-accelerating particles?

The formula for calculating the relative velocity of particles is V = U + at, where V is the final velocity, U is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. For non-accelerating particles, the acceleration (a) is equal to 0, so the formula simplifies to V = U.

4. Can the relative velocity of particles ever be greater than the velocity of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum attainable velocity in the universe. Therefore, the relative velocity of particles cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How does the relative velocity of particles affect their collision?

The relative velocity of particles plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a collision. If the particles have a low relative velocity, they are likely to bounce off each other. However, if the relative velocity is high, the particles may stick together or even break apart upon collision.