Relative Motion: Solving for Time Elapsed for Boats A & B

In summary, the two raceboats A and B leave the beach at point O with zero initial velocity, with boat A forming an angle of 60º with the beach and boat B forming an angle of 45º. Both boats have constant acceleration, and the goal is to find the time elapsed until they are a distance d apart from each other. The approach involves finding the relative acceleration between the two boats, which can be calculated by breaking it down into x and y components using the given angles. This will give the magnitude of the relative acceleration, which can then be used in the formula s = (1/2)at^2 to solve for the time elapsed. It is important to consider the accelerations as vectors in this problem
perdita_x

Homework Statement

The raceboats A and B leave at the same time the beach at point O with zero initial velocity. The path of boat A forms an angle of 60º with the beach and the path of boat B forms an angle of 45º.
Both boats move with constant acceleration. Compute the time elapsed until the boats are a
distance d apart from each other.

Given are the acceleration of boat A & B, and the distance d.

Homework Equations

s = (1/2)at^2
aB/A=aB-aA

The Attempt at a Solution

This question has really bothered me because I know its not very hard, but somehow I can't figure out how to start. I tried using the relative acceleration between the two boats in the formula, but that didnt give the right answer. If someone could just help me get started that would be great.

Attachments

• q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
perdita_x said:
I tried using the relative acceleration between the two boats in the formula, but that didnt give the right answer.
There's nothing wrong with that approach. What did you get for the relative acceleration? (Be sure to treat the accelerations as vectors.)

Doc Al said:
There's nothing wrong with that approach. What did you get for the relative acceleration? (Be sure to treat the accelerations as vectors.)

We're always told that we should solve the problems symbolically first. So when I first tried, I just used it as in the formula with aB/A=aB-aA to find B relative to A.

Im not exactly sure what you mean when you say I need to treat the accelerations as vectors. If you mean that I should split up each relative acceleration into x and y components, then say that aB/A=sqrt(a(B/A)x2 + a(B/A)y2), that doesn't give the correct answer either.

perdita_x said:
We're always told that we should solve the problems symbolically first. So when I first tried, I just used it as in the formula with aB/A=aB-aA to find B relative to A.
OK, but that doesn't make use of the given angles. Do the accelerations have the same magnitude?

Doc Al said:
OK, but that doesn't make use of the given angles. Do the accelerations have the same magnitude?

Hm. Okay, they don't have the same magnitude. And I think I understand why I need to consider them as vectors.

So something along the lines of a(B/A)x = aBcos45 - aAcos60, the same in y direction, then find the magnitude of aB/A and use that?

perdita_x said:
So something along the lines of a(B/A)x = aBcos45 - aAcos60, the same in y direction, then find the magnitude of aB/A and use that?
Yes, that's the idea. (But be careful with signs.)

Thanks! And yes, must watch out for signs :D

Related to Relative Motion: Solving for Time Elapsed for Boats A & B

1. How do you calculate the time elapsed for two boats moving relative to each other?

The time elapsed for two boats moving relative to each other can be calculated using the formula t = d / (vA - vB), where t is the time elapsed, d is the distance between the boats, and vA and vB are the speeds of boats A and B, respectively.

2. Can the time elapsed be negative when using the relative motion formula?

Yes, the time elapsed can be negative when using the relative motion formula. This indicates that the boats are moving towards each other and will meet at some point in time.

3. Can the relative motion formula be used for objects moving in different directions?

Yes, the relative motion formula can be used for objects moving in different directions. The direction of the motion is taken into account by the signs of the velocities in the formula.

4. What happens if the speeds of the boats are equal in the relative motion formula?

If the speeds of the boats are equal in the relative motion formula, the time elapsed will be undefined. This is because the denominator of the formula will be equal to zero.

5. Is the relative motion formula only applicable to boats?

No, the relative motion formula is not only applicable to boats. It can be used for any objects that are moving relative to each other, such as cars, planes, or trains.