Relative motion on a conveyor belt

In summary, the problem involves determining the velocity of sand relative to belt B as it lands on belt B. The velocity of belt A is 6.0 ft/s (constant) and the velocity of belt B is 8 ft/s (constant). Using the equation VS/B = VS-VB, the velocity of sand relative to belt B is found to be 20.1 ft/s at an angle of 85.1 degrees. The attempt at a solution involves using trigonometry to find the correct angle for the sand as it leaves belt A and enters belt B, and then using projectile motion analysis to find the velocity 5 ft below when it hits belt B.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Belt A conveys sand with a velocity of 6.0 ft/s (constant). The velocity of belt B is 8 ft/s (constant). Determine the velocity of the sand relative to B as it lands on belt B. Answer: VS/B=20.1 ft/s at 85.1 degrees

conveyor%20belt.jpg

Homework Equations

VS/B = VS-VB
(Velocity of sand relative to belt B = velocity of sand as it hits belt B - velocity of belt B)

The Attempt at a Solution

VB=8cos(15°)+8sin(15°) = -7.727[tex]\hat{i}[/tex]+2.071[tex]\hat{j}[/tex](ft/s)

My trouble is with finding VS. I know that on the horizontal section of belt A, the sand's velocity (VS) is -6[tex]\hat{i}[/tex]+0[tex]\hat{j}[/tex](ft/s).

When the sand hits the bend where belt A is not horizontal anymore, but starts to bend into belt B, the velocity of the sand changes.

I think I'm stuck on the trig of what the angle is and how the 5ft contributes to finding the correct angle that the sand runs into belt B.

Physics news on Phys.org
when the sand leaves the belt A, its in free fall. use projectile motion analysis to find
the velocity 5 ft below, when it hits belt B.

Related to Relative motion on a conveyor belt

1. How does relative motion on a conveyor belt affect the speed of objects?

The relative motion of an object on a conveyor belt is dependent on the speed of the conveyor belt and the speed of the object. If the conveyor belt is moving in the same direction as the object, the object will appear to be moving slower than its actual speed. If the conveyor belt is moving in the opposite direction of the object, the object will appear to be moving faster than its actual speed.

2. What is the relationship between the velocity of a conveyor belt and the motion of objects on it?

The velocity of a conveyor belt affects the relative motion of objects on it. If the velocity of the conveyor belt increases, objects on it will appear to be moving faster. If the velocity of the conveyor belt decreases, objects on it will appear to be moving slower.

3. How does friction impact the relative motion of objects on a conveyor belt?

Friction between the conveyor belt and the objects on it can affect the relative motion. If there is high friction between the objects and the conveyor belt, the objects may appear to be moving slower than their actual speed. If there is low friction, the objects may appear to be moving faster than their actual speed.

4. Can the direction of the conveyor belt affect the relative motion of objects on it?

Yes, the direction of the conveyor belt can have an impact on the relative motion of objects on it. If the conveyor belt is moving in the same direction as the objects, they will appear to be moving slower. If the conveyor belt is moving in the opposite direction, the objects will appear to be moving faster.

5. How does the weight of an object on a conveyor belt affect its relative motion?

The weight of an object can impact its relative motion on a conveyor belt. Heavier objects may require more force to move at the same speed as lighter objects, and this can affect their relative motion on the conveyor belt. Additionally, heavier objects may have a greater impact on the friction between the conveyor belt and the objects, further affecting their relative motion.