Relationship of Critical Damping Ratio in Elastomers

In summary, the damping ratio for an RTV can be found by measuring the rebound height after a dropping ball test.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi guys, working a project where I need to guess the damping ratio (used for a numerical analysis) based on other properties of a material. We're looking to use an RTV as a vibration damper (we don't need a lot) but I can't seem to get any vibrational properties (called Honeywell, Dupond, GESilicones, etc). Hell, if anyone has damping ratios for 'any' RTV, it would help a lot.

If anyone even has a list of any different elastomers with damping ratios, it would help a lot.

edit: Directly related is a properties called [tex]\tan\delta[/tex] which I could use as well. Either work.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Find it experimentally. Bear in mind that its loss tangent will be frequency dependent and can be measured in shear rheology, dynamic mechanical analysis or other method, or just drop a ball of the material from a variety of heights and measure the rebound heights for each successive rebound. Either use a log-decrement method to find critical damping ratio, or relate a coefficient of restitution to the critical damping ratio as shown in http://link.aip.org/link/?JAMCAV/67/831/1

Let me know if you can't retrieve it (I'm assuming wherever you're working has access to it if it's an academic project) and I can LaTeX the expressions.

Edit - if that sounds like a hassle, a decent Elastomers Handbook should have some values at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Experimenting is kind of out of the question. We really don't have the time to obtain a sample, and then send it out for testing (we don't have the equipment or the know-how to do it here).

As far as retrieving it, I'm in the industry, but with one foot still in school. As such I have access to some journals via Ohiolink, but not the Journal of Applied Mechanics. For future reference, would you mind writing out the expressions or even emailing me the article?

I'll check our library for a elastomer book. Thanks!

Related to Relationship of Critical Damping Ratio in Elastomers

1. What is critical damping ratio in elastomers?

Critical damping ratio is a measure of how well an elastomer material can absorb energy and return to its original shape without oscillating or bouncing back excessively. It is a dimensionless value that represents the ratio of actual damping to the critical damping of an elastomer.

2. How is critical damping ratio determined in elastomers?

The critical damping ratio in elastomers can be determined experimentally by subjecting the material to a known impact or vibration and measuring the resulting energy dissipation. It can also be calculated theoretically using the material's physical properties and the equations of motion.

3. What is the relationship between critical damping ratio and stiffness in elastomers?

In elastomers, the critical damping ratio is inversely proportional to the material's stiffness. This means that as the stiffness of an elastomer material increases, its critical damping ratio decreases. This relationship is important because it affects the material's ability to dissipate energy and resist vibrations.

4. How does temperature affect the critical damping ratio in elastomers?

The critical damping ratio in elastomers is highly dependent on temperature. As temperature increases, the material's stiffness and energy dissipation capabilities decrease, resulting in a lower critical damping ratio. This can lead to changes in the material's behavior and performance, especially in applications where temperature changes are frequent or extreme.

5. What are the practical implications of critical damping ratio in elastomers?

The critical damping ratio in elastomers is an important factor to consider in various engineering and industrial applications. A higher critical damping ratio indicates a more efficient and effective energy dissipation, making the material suitable for shock absorption, noise reduction, and vibration isolation. On the other hand, a lower critical damping ratio may lead to undesirable effects such as excessive oscillations and resonance, which can cause damage or failure in the material or surrounding structures.