Relationship between Simple Harmonic Motion Equation and Wave Equation

In summary, the first equation, f(t)=Asin(ωt+ϕ), is used to describe a wave with amplitude A, frequency ω, and phase shift ϕ at time t. The second equation, f(x,t)=Acos(kx−ωt), is used to describe a traveling wave with amplitude A and frequency ω, where k is the wavenumber and x is the distance along the wave. The second equation is used because it is more intuitive for understanding traveling waves. The two arguments in the second equation represent the position and time variables in the wave equation. It is not equivalent to f(ϕ,t)=sin(ωt+ϕ), as the cosine function describes a different type of
CraigH
I am very familiar with the equation:

$$f(t)=Asin(ωt+ϕ)$$

Used to describe the instantaneous value f(t) of a wave with amplitude A, frequency ω, and phase shift ϕ at time t. This equation is very intuitive to understand: As t increases the value within the sin operator will increase from ϕ upwards at a rate proportional to ω, so the sin function will then oscillate between −1 and 1, and the function f(t) will oscillate between −A and A.

However, in one of my modules the equation:

$$f(x,t)=Acos(kx−ωt)$$

Is now being used instead, with no explanation to the equivalence between this and the previous equation or what it really means. I would really like to understand this equation as intuitively as I do the first. I think k is the wavenumber (number of waves per unit length), and x is the distance along the wave.

Can someone please provide a written explanation (In words as opposed to math) for the second equation?

Also what is the relationship or difference between the two equations, and why is the second equation used instead of the first? Also why are there two arguments for the second equation? What does this actually mean, and could I just as easily say f(ϕ,t)=sin(ωt+ϕ) ?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CraigH said:
I am very familiar with the equation:

$$f(t)=Asin(ωt+ϕ)$$

Used to describe the instantaneous value f(t) of a wave with amplitude A, frequency ω, and phase shift ϕ at time t. This equation is very intuitive to understand: As t increases the value within the sin operator will increase from ϕ upwards at a rate proportional to ω, so the sin function will then oscillate between −1 and 1, and the function f(t) will oscillate between −A and A.

However, in one of my modules the equation:

$$f(x,t)=Acos(kx−ωt)$$

Is now being used instead, with no explanation to the equivalence between this and the previous equation or what it really means. I would really like to understand this equation as intuitively as I do the first. I think k is the wavenumber (number of waves per unit length), and x is the distance along the wave.

Can someone please provide a written explanation (In words as opposed to math) for the second equation?

Also what is the relationship or difference between the two equations, and why is the second equation used instead of the first? Also why are there two arguments for the second equation? What does this actually mean, and could I just as easily say f(ϕ,t)=sin(ωt+ϕ) ?

Thanks!

It is the equation for a traveling wave: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_wave#Traveling_waves

:smile:

Related to Relationship between Simple Harmonic Motion Equation and Wave Equation

1. What is the difference between the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation and the Wave Equation?

The Simple Harmonic Motion Equation describes the motion of a single particle oscillating back and forth along a straight line, while the Wave Equation describes the propagation of a wave through a medium such as air or water. They both involve periodic motion, but the Wave Equation considers the behavior of a wave as it moves through space.

2. How are the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation and the Wave Equation related?

The Simple Harmonic Motion Equation is a special case of the Wave Equation, where the amplitude of the wave is constant and the frequency is constant. This means that the particle is oscillating at a single frequency and amplitude, rather than a range of frequencies and amplitudes as in a general wave.

3. Can the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation be used to model all types of waves?

No, the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation only applies to waves that have a constant amplitude and frequency. Other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, cannot be modeled using the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation.

4. How can the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation be used in real-life applications?

The Simple Harmonic Motion Equation can be used to model the motion of objects such as pendulums, springs, and mass-spring systems. It is also used in engineering to design structures that can withstand vibrations, such as buildings and bridges.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation?

Yes, the Simple Harmonic Motion Equation assumes that there are no external forces acting on the oscillating object and that there is no energy loss due to friction. In real-life situations, these assumptions may not hold true, and the equation may not accurately model the behavior of the system.