Relationship between Principle of Least Action and Continuity Equation

In summary, the continuity equation is a mathematical equation that describes what happens at a single point in space. Least action is a principle that describes what happens along a path.
cryptist
Is there a profound relationship between Principle of Least Action and Continuity Equation? Can we derive one from another?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the "Continuity Equation"?

UltrafastPED said:
What is the "Continuity Equation"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_equation

I've never heard of a profound relation between the two nor have I seen one derived from the other.

Why should you be able to derive one from the other? The continuity equation is about what happens at a single point in space. Least action is about what happens along a path.

If you have done any real analysis, it should be clear you can't deduce what happens in an interval (i.e. a path) from what happens at each individual point. For example think about the difference between "convergence" and "uniform convergence".

Not from continuity alone, that is too little information. For example, time-asymmetric system of equations can move continuously (system with friction), but it cannot be described by Hamilton's principle.

On the other hand, from Hamilton's principle the continuity does follow.

In my opinion, the most instructive way to arrive at Hamilton's principle is from the Newtonian equations of motion (of certain kind, like particles moving under potential forces).

Why should you be able to derive one from the other? The continuity equation is about what happens at a single point in space. Least action is about what happens along a path.

If you have done any real analysis, it should be clear you can't deduce what happens in an interval (i.e. a path) from what happens at each individual point. For example think about the difference between "convergence" and "uniform
convergence".

Although I agree with you answer, I do not understand your argument. It is perfectly possible to derive what happens to integral quantity from the knowledge of what happens at one point.

We can derive the variational condition from the Euler-Lagrange differential equations, for example.

hmm. If we have a Lagrangian, and we have some symmetries, then we can derive continuity equations from them. (This follows from the requirement that the Action is stationary). For example, if our Lagrangian does not change when we make a small spatial translation, then we get a continuity equation for conservation of momentum. And in quantum field theories, if we have some complex field such that our Lagrangian is unchanged by making a small rotation (of the value of the field) in the complex plane, then we get a continuity equation for the conservation of charge. But yeah, if your system does not have a Lagrangian, then I'm pretty sure this method cannot be used to derive continuity equations.

Related to Relationship between Principle of Least Action and Continuity Equation

1. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is a fundamental law in physics that states that a physical system will always follow the path of least action, meaning it will take the path that requires the least amount of energy or time to reach its final state. This principle is a cornerstone of classical mechanics and is closely related to the concept of least potential energy.

2. How does the principle of least action relate to the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a fundamental law in fluid dynamics that describes the conservation of mass in a fluid. The principle of least action is closely related to this equation, as it states that in any physical process, the mass or fluid will flow along the path that minimizes the action, which in this case is the change in the fluid's mass over time.

3. Why is the principle of least action important in understanding the behavior of fluids?

The principle of least action is important in understanding the behavior of fluids because it helps to explain why fluids behave the way they do. By following the path of least action, fluids are able to conserve their mass and minimize energy and time in their movements. This principle can be applied to many different fluid systems, from simple water flow to more complex systems such as the Earth's atmosphere.

4. How does the continuity equation relate to the conservation of mass?

The continuity equation is a mathematical representation of the law of conservation of mass. It states that the total mass of a fluid must remain constant over time, meaning that any changes in the mass of the fluid at one point in time must be balanced out by changes in other parts of the fluid. This is a fundamental law of physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of fluids.

5. Can the principle of least action and the continuity equation be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, the principle of least action and the continuity equation can be applied to other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. In these areas, they are used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This shows the broad applicability and importance of these principles in understanding the fundamental laws of nature.