Relationship between group theory and particle physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between abstract algebra and particle physics, particularly the groups SU(n) and SO(n). The concept of unitary matrices is explained, along with the dimension of SU(n) and its relationship to symmetry. The conversation also touches on the connection between these concepts and phenomena in modern particle physics, such as spin and color charges. It is suggested to reference additional resources to understand these concepts further.
Ulagatin
I'm just a year 12 student with an interest in mathematics and physics, but I have a question (or rather a few) for particle physicists/mathematicians out there.

I have read a little about abstract algebra - to about the extent of knowing the definition of a group, its relationship to symmetry and such - and I came across the group SU(n), which I understand to have a relationship with the standard model of particle physics with particular values of n. I have read a little on SU(n), enough to find that it is a group of n*n unitary matrices where the determinant is 1. In this sense, first of all, what is a unitary matrix? I understand the concept of a determinant. I also have read that SU(n) has dimension [tex]n^2 - 1[/tex]. I do not follow this argument however. If the group is defined by n*n matrices, how can the group have this number of dimensions?

What is the relationship, if any, between SU(n) and SO(n) - the latter which I understand (if I am not mistaken) to be the group of rotations of n-space about axes through the origin of [tex]\Re^n[/tex] (a fairly abstract but understandable concept)? And how do these concepts explain phenomena in modern particle physics? I believe it is down to symmetry. but, symmetry of what? I understand (but may be far off) that it is "symmetry operations" that create a group, and so, I am asking what these operations are, and what the symmetry itself is.

Also, what do these SU groups relate to within physics in particular? Is it spin/spin angular momentum? Or perhaps colour changes (what are colours in terms of particles)?

Is there any helpful way to visualise these particle physics concepts - with relation to the symmetries - in any simple way, and can the concepts be described well without getting bogged down in difficult mathematics? If so, I'd ask you to, please, have a go. :wink:

Sorry for the many questions, but I became very curious recently about this link between what I would have considered before now an obscure (?) branch of mathematics and an exciting field of physics. Thanks in advance for any help in this. :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
a unitary matrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_matrix

you can show that a specual unitary nxn matrix has n^2 - 1 independet entries from the very definition of special unitary matrix.

some of the differences between SU(n) and SO(n) is that U refers to untariy matrices, and O to orthogonal matrices, i,e U are comples and O are real (google Orthogonal matrix= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_matrix)

one can posulate a lot of symmetries, let me take SU(3)c symmetry, it relates quarks with 3 charges (the color charges) to each other (there is no particular direction in color space if this is a symmetry in the real world). one then derives experimental and theoretical implications of such symmetry and compre with experiment.

Thus you can think of these symmetries as rotations in an abstract space (i.e. not space-time).

these two references should help you understand symmetry and particle physics quite good I hope:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.3328

http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html

Related to Relationship between group theory and particle physics?

1. What is the relationship between group theory and particle physics?

Group theory is a mathematical framework that helps us understand symmetry and patterns in nature. In particle physics, group theory is used to describe the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. Essentially, group theory provides a way for us to categorize and analyze the properties of particles and their interactions.

2. How does group theory help us understand particle physics better?

Group theory allows us to classify particles into groups based on their symmetries and interactions. This helps us predict the properties and behaviors of particles, as well as discover new particles through their relationships with existing groups. Group theory also provides a mathematical language for describing the fundamental forces in nature, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.

3. Can you give an example of how group theory is applied in particle physics?

One example is the Standard Model of particle physics, which uses the principles of group theory to classify particles into different groups based on their properties and interactions. This model has successfully predicted the existence of new particles, such as the Higgs boson, and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. Are there any limitations to using group theory in particle physics?

While group theory is a powerful tool in understanding particle physics, it does have its limitations. For example, it may not be able to fully explain all the complexities of the universe, such as the behavior of dark matter. Additionally, group theory is based on mathematical abstractions and may not have a direct physical interpretation.

5. How does group theory relate to other areas of physics and science?

Group theory is not only used in particle physics, but also has applications in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics. It is also used in other branches of science, such as chemistry and biology, to understand the symmetries and patterns in molecules and biological systems. In essence, group theory is a fundamental mathematical framework that has implications in many areas of science and mathematics.