Relation of fine structure constant to splitting of spectral li

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the magnitude of the fine structure splitting in H-α in THz using the Rydberg equation and the fine structure constant. The solution sheet suggests using the reciprocal of the product of the fine structure constant and the energy splitting to get a frequency of 6.8 GHz. The conversation also mentions attempting to derive the magnetic field experienced by an electron in the system.
Emspak

Homework Statement

Estimate the magnitude of the fine structure splitting in H-α in THz

Homework Equations

Rydberg -- [itex] R_y \left(\frac{1}{n_f^2}-\frac{1}{n_i^2}\right) = \Delta E[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't really a request for solution help, and more a justification. I know that if I apply the above equation I get (-13.6eV) (5/36)~ 1.9 eV and from there I get a wavelength (~656 nm). So far so good. I also know that the fine structure constant α2 multiplied by that will give me a change in frequency. That is the splution sheet says "~α2 (1.9eV) " and proceeds to say that if you multiply the reciprocal of that by 242 THz you get 6.8 GHz.

Well an good, but I am trying to justify this better. I know that 656nm ~ 1.9 GHz. I just want to figure out how to make the step. That is, it seems right, but if someone said "Hey this is the equation they are using" that would help.

I also ask this because it seemed to me that if one could derive the magnetic field experienced by an electron as it runs around the nucleus one could get the same result. Bu my attempts to do so so far have met with little success-- I feel like I am perhaps overcomplicating things. (I tried starting with the old equation for B field in a current loop and going from there, using the Bohr radius, but I ended up with stuff that stopped making sense).

Anyhow, to recap: first, justify the answer, second, is there a link to a derivation or something that I am missing.

THanks folks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fine structure of the Hydrogen atom arises due to three effects, the kinetic energy effect, spin-orbit coupling (basically what you're thinking about with regards to the magnetic field), and the Darwinian term. Summing the three effects gives you the ~##\alpha^2## dependence of the energy splitting.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_structure

thanks, i knew of the wiki page, the issue is that in the answer sheet to the test this appeared on I am jut tryng to figure out where the 242 came from. It's like it comes out of nowhere.

Related to Relation of fine structure constant to splitting of spectral li

1. What is the fine structure constant?

The fine structure constant, also known as alpha, is a dimensionless number that characterizes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is approximately equal to 1/137 and is denoted by the symbol α.

2. How is the fine structure constant related to the splitting of spectral lines?

The fine structure constant is related to the splitting of spectral lines through the Bohr model of the atom. According to this model, the energy levels of an atom are determined by the product of the fine structure constant and the square of the electron charge. This results in the splitting of spectral lines, which can be observed in atomic spectra.

3. What is the significance of the fine structure constant in physics?

The fine structure constant is of great significance in physics as it is a fundamental constant that governs the strength of the electromagnetic force. It is also used in theories such as quantum electrodynamics and is a crucial factor in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. Has the value of the fine structure constant changed over time?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the value of the fine structure constant has changed over time. It is considered to be a fundamental constant of nature, and its value remains constant in different regions of the universe and at different points in time.

5. How is the fine structure constant measured?

The fine structure constant is measured through experiments and observations of atomic spectra. It can also be calculated theoretically using mathematical equations derived from quantum mechanics. The most precise measurement to date has been made using a method called the quantum Hall effect, which measures the ratio of the fine structure constant to the electron charge.