Relation between the moon's gravitation and the level of ocean

In summary, the moon and sun both have a tidal effect on the Earth's ocean. During new moon and full moon, when the moon and sun are aligned, their tidal effects are reinforced and result in higher high tides and lower low tides. However, the average level of the ocean remains the same, with some places experiencing higher tides and others experiencing lower tides.
kiru
Will anybody let me know what is the relation between the moon's gravitation and the level of ocean in earth?As far I know that during newmoon and full moon day the level of ocean increases.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
kiru said:
Will anybody let me know what is the relation between the moon's gravitation and the level of ocean in earth?As far I know that during newmoon and full moon day the level of ocean increases.

both the moon and the sun have a tidal effect on the Earth ocean

at time of new moon/full moon the moon and sun are ALIGNED so they work in the same direction and reinforce each other tidal effect

so the high tide is higher than usual and the
low tide is lower than usual

the average level of ocean doesn't change, I think, it is higher some places and lower other places, but same average

Related to Relation between the moon's gravitation and the level of ocean

1. How does the moon's gravitation affect the level of ocean?

The moon's gravitation is one of the main factors that influence the tides in the ocean. The moon's gravity pulls on the Earth, causing the water in the ocean to bulge towards the moon. This creates a high tide on the side of the Earth facing the moon, and a low tide on the opposite side.

2. Does the distance between the moon and Earth impact the level of ocean?

Yes, the distance between the moon and Earth does affect the level of ocean. When the moon is closer to the Earth, its gravitational pull is stronger and causes higher tides. Conversely, when the moon is farther away, the tides will be lower.

3. What other factors contribute to the ocean's tides?

In addition to the moon's gravitation, the sun also plays a role in the ocean's tides. The sun's gravity also pulls on the Earth, but its effect is not as strong as the moon's due to its distance. The shape of the coastline, ocean currents, and wind patterns can also affect the tides.

4. Does the moon's gravitation affect all bodies of water on Earth?

Yes, the moon's gravitation affects all bodies of water on Earth, including lakes, rivers, and even groundwater. However, the effect may be less noticeable in smaller bodies of water compared to the ocean.

5. Is the moon's gravitation the only factor that affects the level of ocean?

No, there are many other factors that can influence the ocean's tides, such as the rotation of the Earth, the position of the moon and sun relative to each other, and the Earth's tilt. These factors all work together to create the complex patterns of tides in the ocean.