Relation between the functions

In summary, we discussed the limit of $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}}$ to determine the relationship between $\sqrt{n}$ and $n^{\sin n}$. We found that the limit does not exist and therefore, they are not equal to each other in terms of big-O, little-o, big-Omega, and little-omega notation. We also proved this using a proof of contradiction and showed that for any constant, there exists an $n$ for which the relationship does not hold.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)I want to determine if $\sqrt{n}$ is $\Theta $ / $O$ / $\Omega$, $o$, $\omega$ of $n^{\sin n}$.

To do so we could calculate the limit:

$$\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}}$$

right? But how can we find the limit, although $\lim_{n \to +\infty} \sin n$ does not exist?
Or do we have to determine the relation between $\sqrt{n}$ and $n^{\sin n}$ in an other way? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I don't know how to solve that exercise, but $\underset{n\to \infty}{lim}\dfrac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{sin \ n}}$ doesn't exist, so you will need to find another method to solve the exercise.

Taking a little look at the definitions I think it is not $O \ or \ o$.

I think it could be $\Omega$ since the upper limit of that sequence seems to be infinity, but you will need to check it carefully.

I found that none of the relations:

$$\sqrt{n}=O(n^{\sin n}) \\ \sqrt{n}=o(n^{\sin n}) \\ \sqrt{n}=\Omega(n^{\sin n}) \\ \sqrt{n}=\omega(n^{\sin n})$$

hold. But how could we prove this? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I found that none of the relations:

$$\sqrt{n}=O(n^{\sin n}) \\ \sqrt{n}=o(n^{\sin n}) \\ \sqrt{n}=\Omega(n^{\sin n}) \\ \sqrt{n}=\omega(n^{\sin n})$$

hold. But how could we prove this? (Thinking)

Hey! ;)

Let's do a proof of contradiction, using the definition of $O$. (Thinking)

Suppose $\sqrt{n}=O(n^{\sin n})$, then $\sqrt{n} \le k\cdot n^{\sin n}$ for some $k$ and sufficiently large $n$.
Or in other words $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} \le k$ for some $k$ and sufficiently large $n$.

However large we pick $n_0$, we can always find an $n \ge n_0$ for which $\sin n$ is arbitrarily close to either $-1$ or $+1$ . That is because the period of the $\sin$ is an irrational number.
So we can for instance always find an $n$ for which $\sin n < -0.9$.

For that $n$ we have:
$$\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} >\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{-0.9}} = n^{0.9}\sqrt{n}$$
The right hand side can always be larger than any constant $k$, which is a contradiction.

So $\sqrt{n}\ne O(n^{\sin n})$. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Hey! ;)

Let's do a proof of contradiction, using the definition of $O$. (Thinking)

Suppose $\sqrt{n}=O(n^{\sin n})$, then $\sqrt{n} \le k\cdot n^{\sin n}$ for some $k$ and sufficiently large $n$.
Or in other words $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} \le k$ for some $k$ and sufficiently large $n$.

However large we pick $n_0$, we can always find an $n \ge n_0$ for which $\sin n$ is arbitrarily close to either $-1$ or $+1$ . That is because the period of the $\sin$ is an irrational number.
Could you explain me further why we can always find an $n$ for which $\sin n < -0.9$ ? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
For that $n$ we have:
The right hand side can always be larger than any constant $k$, which is a contradiction.
So we have found that

$$\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} >\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{-0.9}} = n^{0.9}\sqrt{n}$$and $n^{0.9}\sqrt{n} \to +\infty$.

So since $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}}>n^{0.9}\sqrt{n}$ don't we conclude that $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} \to +\infty$ , i.e. that $n^{\sin n}=o(\sqrt{n})$ ? Or am I wrong? :confused:

evinda said:
Could you explain me further why we can always find an $n$ for which $\sin n < -0.9$ ? (Thinking)

Not really at this time. Not without doing some research first. (Worried)

I merely know that $n \bmod 2\pi$ gets arbitrarily close to any number in the interval $[0, 2\pi)$, and it does so infinitely many times for numbers bigger than any arbitrary number.
That's a consequence of $\pi$ being irrational. (Wasntme)
So we have found that

$$\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} >\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{-0.9}} = n^{0.9}\sqrt{n}$$and $n^{0.9}\sqrt{n} \to +\infty$.

So since $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}}>n^{0.9}\sqrt{n}$ don't we conclude that $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} \to +\infty$ , i.e. that $n^{\sin n}=o(\sqrt{n})$ ? Or am I wrong? :confused:

Not quite, we only know that for every $n_0$ we can always find an $n_1 > n_0$ such that $\frac{\sqrt{n_1}}{n_1^{\sin n_1}}>n_1^{0.9}\sqrt{n_1}$.
It's not true for every $n \ge n_1$. To the contrary, since the $\sin$ can also get arbitrarily close to $1$ instead of $-1$. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
Not quite, we only know that for every $n_0$ we can always find an $n_1 > n_0$ such that $\frac{\sqrt{n_1}}{n_1^{\sin n_1}}>n_1^{0.9}\sqrt{n_1}$.
It's not true for every $n \ge n_1$. To the contrary, since the $\sin$ can also get arbitrarily close to $1$ instead of $-1$. (Wasntme)
So is the following right? (Thinking)

Suppose $\sqrt{n}=o(n^{\sin n})$.

Then $\forall c>0, \exists n_0 \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $\sqrt{n} < c\cdot n^{\sin n}, \forall n \geq n_0$.

Or in other words $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} <c $ for all $c>0$ and sufficiently large $n$.

For that $n$ we have:

Thus, $\sqrt{n} \neq o(n^{\sin n})$.From the fact that $\sqrt{n} \neq o(n^{\sin n})$ we conclude that $\sqrt{n} \neq O(n^{\sin n})$.Now suppose that $\sqrt{n}=\omega(n^{\sin n})$.Then $\forall c>0, \exists n_0 \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $\sqrt{n}> c n^{\sin n}, \forall n \geq n_0$.Or in other words $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}}>c$ for all $c$ and sufficiently large $n$.However large we pick $n_0$, we can always find an $n \ge n_0$ for which $\sin n$ is arbitrarily close to either $-1$ or $+1$ .

So we can for instance always find an $n$ for which $\sin n >0.9$.

For that $n$ we have:
$$\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} <\frac{n^{0.5}}{n^{0.9}} = \frac{1}{n^{0.4}}$$
The right hand side can always be smaller than any constant $k$, which is a contradiction.

Thus, $\sqrt{n} \neq \omega(n^{\sin n}) \Rightarrow \sqrt{n} \neq \Omega(n^{\sin n})$.

Looks good to me! (Nod)

Since you've introduced the constant $c$ instead of $k$, I'd replace all occurences of $k$ by $c$ though. (Nerd)

And perhaps you should mention for $\omega$, at the end, that $c > 0$. (Nerd)

And in retrospect I realized that it would be good to introduce, say, $n_1$ for the value greater than $n_0$ that satisfies the criterion. That's to avoid any confusion with the $n$ that might take any value. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Looks good to me! (Nod)

Since you've introduced the constant $c$ instead of $k$, I'd replace all occurences of $k$ by $c$ though. (Nerd)

And perhaps you should mention for $\omega$, at the end, that $c > 0$. (Nerd)

And in retrospect I realized that it would be good to introduce, say, $n_1$ for the value greater than $n_0$ that satisfies the criterion. That's to avoid any confusion with the $n$ that might take any value. (Nerd)

Nice! (Smirk) Do I have to justify the following or is it known? :confused:

However large we pick $n_0$, we can always find an $n \geq n_0$ for which $\sin n$ is arbitrarily close to either $-1$ or $+1$ .
So we can for instance always find an $n$ for which $\sin n <-0.9$.

evinda said:
Nice! (Smirk) Do I have to justify the following or is it known? :confused:

However large we pick $n_0$, we can always find an $n \geq n_0$ for which $\sin n$ is arbitrarily close to either $-1$ or $+1$ .
So we can for instance always find an $n$ for which $\sin n <-0.9$.

I consider it known, but I guess for a proper proof you need a reference to some proposition or some such. How much have you learned about irrational numbers? Is there some such proposition in there? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I consider it known, but I guess for a proper proof you need a reference to some proposition or some such. How much have you learned about irrational numbers? Is there some such proposition in there? (Wondering)

We haven't said something about irrational numbers in the course Algorithms and Complexity.. So should I just say it like that or explain it further?

Now I realized something... (Wait)$$f(n) \neq o(g(n)) \text{ doesn't imply that } f(n) \neq O(g(n))$$

but:

$$f(n) \neq O(g(n)) \text{ implies that } f(n) \neq o(g(n))$$

evinda said:
We haven't said something about irrational numbers in the course Algorithms and Complexity.. So should I just say it like that or explain it further?

For a course in Algorithms and Complexity I'd just say it like that. (Wasntme)
If it were an advanced algebra course, perhaps it should be explained further.
Now I realized something... (Wait)$$f(n) \neq o(g(n)) \text{ doesn't imply that } f(n) \neq O(g(n))$$

but:

$$f(n) \neq O(g(n)) \text{ implies that } f(n) \neq o(g(n))$$

Oh yes, you are right! (Blush)

Suppose $\sqrt{n}=O(n^{\sin n})$.
That means that $\exists c>0, n_0 \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:

$\sqrt{n} \leq c n^{\sin n}$.

Or in other words $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} \le c$ for some $c$ and for a sufficiently large $n$.

However large we pick $n_0$, we can always find an $n_1 \ge n_0$ for which $\sin n_1$ is arbitrarily close to $-1$ .
So we can always find an $n_1$ for which $\sin{n_1} < -0.9$.

Then we have:

$$\frac{\sqrt{n_1}}{n^{\sin n_1}} >\frac{\sqrt{n_1}}{n_1^{-0.9}} = n_1^{0.9}\sqrt{n_1}=n_1^{1.4}$$Can the right hand side always be larger than any constant $c$ or than a specific constant? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Or in other words $\frac{\sqrt{n}}{n^{\sin n}} \le c$ for some $c$ and for a sufficiently large $n$.

That should be: any sufficiently large $n$. (Nerd)
$$\frac{\sqrt{n_1}}{n^{\sin n_1}} >\frac{\sqrt{n_1}}{n_1^{-0.9}} = n_1^{0.9}\sqrt{n_1}=n_1^{1.4}$$

Can the right hand side always be larger than any constant $c$ or than a specific constant? (Thinking)

Pick any constant $c$.
Then actually, it might be possible that for a specific $n_1$ the RHS is smaller than $c$. (Doh)
To cover that case we need to pick $n_0$ large enough so that $n_0^{1.4} > c$. Then the required result follows without change. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
That should be: any sufficiently large $n$. (Nerd)

Pick any constant $c$.
Then actually, it might be possible that for a specific $n_1$ the RHS is smaller than $c$. (Doh)
To cover that case we need to pick $n_0$ large enough so that $n_0^{1.4} > c$. Then the required result follows without change. (Wasntme)

Great! Thank you very much! (Party)

Related to Relation between the functions

1. What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, where each input (independent variable) has a unique output (dependent variable).

2. How do you determine if two functions are related?

To determine if two functions are related, you can examine their graphs and look for patterns. If the graphs have similar shapes and follow a similar trend, then they are likely related.

3. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear function?

A linear function has a constant rate of change, meaning that the output changes by the same amount for every unit change in the input. A nonlinear function does not have a constant rate of change and may have curves or bends in its graph.

4. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the input and output variables and solve for the new output. The inverse function will have the original output as its input and the original input as its output.

5. What is the importance of understanding the relationship between functions?

Understanding the relationship between functions allows us to model and analyze real-world situations, make predictions, and solve problems. It also helps us understand how different variables affect each other and make informed decisions based on this understanding.