Relation between energy of traveling wave with displacement curve

In summary, the displacement of a wave is directly related to the energy it carries. When energy is propagated through a medium, the displacement curve will move up and down. This is seen in transverse waves, where the displacement is caused by the energy being transferred between two points. In the case of standing waves, the displacement occurs without horizontal movement, but the energy from two directions is still present. Further understanding of the relationship between energy flow and displacement can help to better understand how waves behave.
Jackson Lee
When waves are propagated through medium, the displacement curve will move up and down. Do they have any relationship with propagated energy? For example, when energy is gained from other part the curve will rise up or fall down. And does energy in standing waves share similar principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not quite sure what you are asking, but it takes energy to cause the displacement. The displacement is directly related to the energy propagated for transverse waves.
for example, suppose you and your friend are holding different ends of a taut rope. You shake your end and do work on the rope causing displacement and a traveling wave. On the other end, the wave does work on your friend's hand by forcing it to shake as you shook it. If your friend does not allow his end to move, the energy is trapped in the rope/wave and reflected back towards you. So the actual displacement carries the energy, if that's what you're asking.

elegysix said:
I am not quite sure what you are asking, but it takes energy to cause the displacement. The displacement is directly related to the energy propagated for transverse waves.
for example, suppose you and your friend are holding different ends of a taut rope. You shake your end and do work on the rope causing displacement and a traveling wave. On the other end, the wave does work on your friend's hand by forcing it to shake as you shook it. If your friend does not allow his end to move, the energy is trapped in the rope/wave and reflected back towards you. So the actual displacement carries the energy, if that's what you're asking.
Not exactly. I know the displacement is related to energy, but I want to get a further deeper understanding that it will move up or down if energy flowes into it. Or we could say the relationship between its displacement's direction and its direction of energy propagation. Do you know what I mean?
Initially, displacement curve of standing waves attracted me. It just wiggled up and down but not move horizontally. Considering that energy from two directions are same, I think there must be some relation between these two things. Thus, I tried to find a more clear link between energy flow and displacement curve.

Last edited:

Related to Relation between energy of traveling wave with displacement curve

1. What is the relationship between the energy of a traveling wave and its displacement curve?

The energy of a traveling wave is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude, which is represented by the displacement curve. In other words, the greater the amplitude of the displacement curve, the more energy the wave carries.

2. How does the wavelength affect the energy of a traveling wave?

The wavelength of a traveling wave has an inverse relationship with its energy. This means that as the wavelength increases, the energy of the wave decreases. This is because a longer wavelength allows the wave to spread out over a larger distance, resulting in a decrease in amplitude and therefore a decrease in energy.

3. What is the role of frequency in the energy of a traveling wave?

The frequency of a traveling wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the wave also increases. This is because a higher frequency wave has a higher number of oscillations per second, resulting in a higher amplitude and therefore a higher energy.

4. Can two traveling waves with different energies have the same displacement curve?

Yes, it is possible for two traveling waves with different energies to have the same displacement curve. This can happen if the waves have different wavelengths and frequencies that result in the same amplitude when superimposed on each other. However, the total energy of the two waves will be equal to the sum of their individual energies.

5. How does the medium through which a wave travels affect its energy and displacement curve?

The medium through which a wave travels can affect its energy and displacement curve in various ways. For example, a denser medium can result in a higher amplitude and therefore a higher energy wave. Additionally, the properties of the medium, such as elasticity and density, can affect the speed of the wave and therefore the wavelength and frequency, ultimately impacting the energy and displacement curve of the wave.