Relation Between Computers, Light and Pi

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving the speed of light, Euler's number, and binary logarithms. There is disagreement about whether this equation has any significance or usefulness, with some participants arguing that it is simply numerology. The conversation also touches upon the concept of changing units and the relationship between Pi and irrational numbers. The thread is ultimately closed for moderation due to a disagreement about the validity of the equation.
Joshua Morris
Is this equation of any use or in any way interesting?

CodeCogsEqn(1).gif

c = speed of light (m/s)
e = euler's number

I don't know much about physics but

2^6=log_2(64), this is a binary logarithm so would this mean that computers, the world (c and e) and circles(pi) all be related somehow by this equation?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, we've all seen things like that.

approximations.png

Borg said:
Yes, we've all seen things like that.

approximations.png

I don't get it

Joshua Morris said:
I don't get it
Just because something makes a good approximation, doesn't mean that there is a relationship.

Joshua Morris said:
Is this equation of any use or in any way interesting?
No. This is just numerology. Look what happens if you change units.

It is not dimensionally consistent so there is no point to ask about usefulness.
It does not make sense at all if c is a physical quantity and not just some arbitrary number.
Speed of light is 186 000. In miles per second. Does you relation still "works" with this number?
If you had a valid equation, changing units will not affect the validity, as long as you do it consistently.

This totally brings me back to when I lived in England and argued with a guy in a pub about Pi. He insisted that Pi *is* 22/7. Obviously me trying to educate him about irrational numbers was of little value.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

EDIT -- We do not discuss numerology here on the PF. Thread will remain closed.

Last edited:

Related to Relation Between Computers, Light and Pi

1. What is the relationship between computers and light?

The relationship between computers and light is that computers use light to display images and information. Light is converted into electrical signals and then into binary code that the computer can understand and display on its screen.

2. How does light play a role in computing?

Light plays a crucial role in computing as it is used in various components of a computer such as the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Without light, computers would not be able to display information or receive input from users.

3. What is the significance of Pi in the relation between computers and light?

Pi, or the mathematical constant 3.14, is used in computer programming and engineering to calculate and design the dimensions and angles of components such as lenses and mirrors that are crucial in the use of light in computing.

4. How does light affect the speed and efficiency of computers?

The use of light in computing has greatly increased the speed and efficiency of computers. Light travels faster than electricity, allowing for faster communication and data processing within a computer.

5. Can light be used to improve the performance of computers?

Yes, light is constantly being researched and developed to improve the performance of computers. For example, the use of fiber optic cables allows for faster data transfer and the development of optical computing may revolutionize the way computers process information.