Relation between bare and full scalar booson propagator.

In summary, the full propagator, D_F, can be represented as D_F = Z/(p^2 - m^2), where Z = (1 - Σ'(m))^-1, Σ is the self energy, and m is the physical mass. There is a relation between D_F and the bare propagator, D_F^0, which is commonly thought to be D_F^0 = D_F/Z. However, this is not true and the correct relation is actually D_F^0 = ZD_F. Proving this relation is a challenge for some and often involves showing that DF' = ZDF, where DF' is the modified propagator.
center o bass
One can show that at around ##p \approx m## where m is the physical mass the full propagator ##D_F## is something like

$$D_F = \frac{Z}{p^2 - m^2}.$$

Where ##Z = (1 - \Sigma '(m))^{-1}##, ##\Sigma## is the self energy and m is the physical mass of the particle. If i were now to write a relation between ##D_F## and the bare propagator ##D_F^0## my first guess would be that to a given order ##D_F^0 = D_F/Z##. But that is not true and of course I do see the full mass is still there.. So I have read that the relation is in fact the opposite, namely ##D_F^0 = Z D_F##, but I have problems proving it. How is that proof done?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is probably DF'=ZDF,where DF' is the modified propagator.

Related to Relation between bare and full scalar booson propagator.

1. What is the definition of a scalar boson propagator?

A scalar boson propagator is a mathematical quantity that describes the propagation of a scalar boson particle in a physical system. It is a function that relates the energy and momentum of the particle to its interaction with other particles in the system.

2. How is the bare scalar boson propagator related to the full scalar boson propagator?

The bare scalar boson propagator is the simplest form of the propagator, which only considers the interactions between the scalar boson and other particles in the system. The full scalar boson propagator takes into account all possible interactions, including virtual particle interactions, and is a more accurate representation of the particle's behavior.

3. What is the significance of the relation between the bare and full scalar boson propagator?

The relation between the bare and full scalar boson propagator allows us to better understand the behavior of scalar boson particles in physical systems. It helps us make more accurate predictions and calculations in particle physics experiments.

4. How is the bare scalar boson propagator calculated?

The bare scalar boson propagator is calculated using perturbation theory, which involves expanding the propagator in a series of interactions between the scalar boson and other particles. This allows us to approximate the propagator and make predictions about the behavior of the particle.

5. What are the limitations of the bare scalar boson propagator?

The bare scalar boson propagator is limited in its accuracy because it only considers a simplified version of the interactions between the scalar boson and other particles. It also does not take into account all possible interactions, which can lead to discrepancies in experimental results.