Relating Kinetic Energies and Masses of Two Objects

In summary: So it would seem like I am correct, but it's really frustrating because I don't understand how it works.In summary, Homework Equations state that the ratio of kinetic energies between two objects is equal to the difference in their masses.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two objects of inertias m1 and m2 start from rest and then interact with each other (assume neither is interacting with any other object).
What is the ratio of their kinetic energies at any instant?

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac{K_{1}}{K_{2}} = ? [/itex]
The first part of the equation asked me to relate velocities to masses and I got a correct answer of

[itex]\frac{v_{2x}}{v_{1x}} = -\frac{m_{1}}{m_{2}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Kinetic Energy is half of the mass times the square of the velocity, and that's where my attempt falls apart, because I have to express the answer in terms of m1 and m2, but they're already in KE so I don't understand how that works out. My answer I got was

[itex]\frac{K_{1}}{K_{2}} = \frac{m_{2}}{m_{1}} [/itex]

Without the negative cause it is the square of the velocity and that will eliminate any negatives. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what is your question?
The answer looks OK.

nasu said:
So what is your question?
The answer looks OK.

It's not okay though :( apparently I am not correct :mad:

The answer you have obtained is correct .

B3NR4Y said:
It's not okay though :( apparently I am not correct :mad:

How do you know this? What do you think is the correct answer?

nasu said:
How do you know this? What do you think is the correct answer?

It's part of a homework assignment and when I put in an answer it spits out a correct or incorrect judgement. I put in my answer and it's incorrect. The professor said things like this would happen though, and when they did to come to him because we're using a new system and there are mistakes in it that he's found. I hope that is the case because I tried every combination of subscript and now they most I can get on the question is 50% for a correct answer regardless of the amount of tries.

Related to Relating Kinetic Energies and Masses of Two Objects

1. How does the mass of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The mass of an object directly affects its kinetic energy. The greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy. This is because kinetic energy is dependent on both mass and velocity, and a heavier object requires more energy to move at the same velocity as a lighter object.

2. What is the relationship between the kinetic energy of two objects with different masses?

The kinetic energy of two objects with different masses is directly proportional to their masses. This means that if one object has twice the mass of the other, it will also have twice the kinetic energy.

3. How is kinetic energy calculated for two objects with different masses?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. For two objects with different masses, the kinetic energy can be calculated separately for each object and then compared.

4. Can two objects with the same mass have different kinetic energies?

Yes, two objects with the same mass can have different kinetic energies if they have different velocities. Kinetic energy is dependent on both mass and velocity, so objects with the same mass but different velocities will have different kinetic energies.

5. How does the kinetic energy of a moving object change with its mass?

The kinetic energy of a moving object increases with its mass. This is because, as mentioned earlier, kinetic energy is directly proportional to mass. So, if the mass of a moving object increases, its kinetic energy will also increase.