Reinforcement in continuous beams

In summary, for a continuous beam with dimensions of h=180mm, b=500mm, and l=5400mm, and supports at 200mm, 2700mm, and 5200mm, reinforcement must be applied on the top and bottom due to tension and compression. For a highly reinforced beam, 8 bars of 12mm diameter with a concrete cover of 50mm and a spacing of 100mm between bars is recommended. For a lightly reinforced beam, 4 bars of 10mm diameter with a concrete cover of 40mm and a spacing of 200mm between bars is recommended. Multiple proposals can be made for different levels of reinforcement.
dsav

Homework Statement

I have been asked to provide a detailed reinforcement plan for a continuous beam.

This beam has the following dimensions: h=180mm, b=500mm and l=5400mm. The supports are three and located at 200 (roller), 2700 (pinned) and 5200 (roller)mm, creating two equal spans. The loading will occur in the middle of each midspan (1450mm & 3950mm for 0 the beginning of the beams length).

Concretes maximum gravel size is 16mm.

Homework Equations

Knowing that the beam will face both tension and compression, reinforcement on the top and the bottom of the beam must be applied.

My main problems are: 1. what and how many bars should I choose, 2. What concrete cover should I have, 3. what distance between the bars.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been asked to provide several different proposals, either with continuous bars or with bars placed over the middle support and at the bottom of the midspans. I want to have both highly reinforced beams and a lightly reinforced.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Drawing1.pdf
    4.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the highly reinforced beam, you could use a total of 8 bars (4 on the top and 4 on the bottom). The bar size should be 12mm in diameter and the concrete cover should be at least 50mm. For the spacing of the bars, you could use a spacing of 100mm between bars. For the lightly reinforced beam, you could use a total of 4 bars (2 on the top and 2 on the bottom). The bar size should be 10mm in diameter and the concrete cover should be at least 40mm. For the spacing of the bars, you could use a spacing of 200mm between bars.

Related to Reinforcement in continuous beams

1. What is reinforcement in continuous beams?

Reinforcement in continuous beams refers to the use of steel bars or mesh within concrete beams to increase their strength and load-bearing capacity. These reinforcements are placed strategically within the beam to counteract tensile forces and prevent cracking or failure.

2. How is reinforcement determined in continuous beams?

The amount and placement of reinforcement in continuous beams is determined by the design engineer based on the expected loads and structural requirements. Factors such as beam span, support conditions, and material properties are considered in the design process.

3. What are the different types of reinforcement used in continuous beams?

The most commonly used reinforcements in continuous beams are steel bars, also known as rebar, and welded wire mesh. These reinforcements are made of high-strength steel and are placed in the beam according to the design specifications.

4. How does reinforcement affect the behavior of continuous beams?

Reinforcement plays a crucial role in the behavior of continuous beams. It increases the beam's strength and stiffness, allowing it to resist bending and shear forces. Reinforcement also helps to distribute the load more evenly, reducing the chances of cracking or failure.

5. What are the advantages of using reinforcement in continuous beams?

The use of reinforcement in continuous beams offers several advantages, including increased load-bearing capacity, improved structural integrity, and better resistance to cracking and corrosion. Reinforcement also allows for more efficient use of materials, resulting in cost savings and reduced construction time.