Regular chemistry electron configuration help

In summary, electron configurations are a way of representing the distribution of electrons in an atom or molecule, providing important information about its properties and behavior. To write an electron configuration, you list the energy levels and sublevels in increasing energy order and fill them in according to the Aufbau principle and Hund's rule. The electron configuration of an element can be determined by its atomic number, and can change when the atom gains or loses electrons.
bobby189

Homework Statement

Why do transition metals tend to form +1/+2 ions? Take electron configurations into account so that I can better understand this "easy" concept.2. The attempt at a solution
I think it has to do with the s orbitals. These, I think are valence electrons that are easily lost... most have 2 s electrons at a high energy level, so it makes sense to lose those first.

Thanks for the help!
Bobby Lee
Florida

Physics news on Phys.org
please! Will anyone attempt to help me out here? I have a test Thursday! This is sooooo hard!

Related to Regular chemistry electron configuration help

1. What is an electron configuration?

An electron configuration is a way to represent the distribution of electrons in an atom or molecule. It describes the arrangement of electrons in energy levels and sublevels within an atom.

2. How do I write an electron configuration?

To write an electron configuration, you start by listing the energy levels (represented by numbers) and sublevels (represented by letters) in order of increasing energy. Then you fill in the sublevels with the correct number of electrons, following the Aufbau principle and Hund's rule.

3. What is the significance of electron configurations?

Electron configurations provide important information about an atom's properties, including its chemical reactivity and bonding behavior. They can also help predict an atom's stability and potential for forming compounds.

4. How do I determine the electron configuration of an element?

The electron configuration of an element can be determined by looking at its atomic number, which tells you the number of electrons in a neutral atom. You can then use the periodic table to determine the number of energy levels and sublevels for that element, and fill them in following the rules mentioned in question 2.

5. Can electron configurations change?

Yes, electron configurations can change when an atom gains or loses electrons. This can happen through chemical reactions or other processes, and can affect the atom's properties and behavior.