Regarding double well potential

In summary: So it is possible to arrive at sin(q(x-b)) without the use of q(a-b).In summary, the eigenvalues conditions may be written in the form:tan(q(a-b))=qα(1+tanh(αb)/(q2 -α2tanh(αb))$$andtan(q(a-b))=qα(1+coth(αb)/(q2 -α2coth(αb))$$
peripatein
A particle is in the following double-well potential with E<0:
V(x)=0 for x<-a, x>a; -V0 for -a<x<-b, b<x<a; 0 for -b<x<b
I am asked to show that the eigenvalues conditions may be written in the form:
tan(q(a-b))=qα(1+tanh(αb)/(q22tanh(αb))$$
and
tan(q(a-b))=qα(1+coth(αb)/(q22coth(αb))$$
for the even and odd solutions, where -E=ħ2α2/2m and E+V02q2/2m.

I first tried to define the wave function in the various regions, focusing on the positive x-axis only and demanding odd solutions:
Ψ(x)=Ae-αx for x>a; Bsin(q(x-b)) for b<x<a; Ce-αx + Deαx for 0<x<b

Is that correct thus far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, but as I impose continuity of wave function and its derivatives I obtain the four following equations, from which I am unable to derive the desired expression:
(1) Ae-αa = Bsin(q(a-b))
(2) -αAe-αa = Bqcos(q(a-b))
(3) 0 = Ce-αb + Deαb
(4) Bq = -αCe-αb + Dαeαb

What am I doing wrong?

You could explain what you did. Where does equation 3 come from?
Where is the odd/even condition?

Well, equation 3 stems from the demand for continuity at x=b. I have decided to focus on the odd solutions first, hence the use of sine. Is that wrong?

Ah, I see the issue.
The way you defined the wave function in the well, you get a mixture of odd and even functions (the sine would have some non-zero value at x=0). If you want odd functions, you need something like sin(qx).

So which function ought I to choose for Ψ(x) in the well? Ought it to be a combination of sine and cosine at once (like harmonic oscillator)?

In other words, should I then simply choose sin(qx) for the odd and cos(qx) for the even, within the well?

peripatein said:
So which function ought I to choose for Ψ(x) in the well? Ought it to be a combination of sine and cosine at once (like harmonic oscillator)?
You can do that, if you choose them without that offset it is easier to split them into odd and even contributions.
peripatein said:
In other words, should I then simply choose sin(qx) for the odd and cos(qx) for the even, within the well?
That is the easierst approach I think.

Yet please note the expressions I am expected to arrive at. It seems I am indeed expected to use forms as sin(q(x-b)). Wouldn't you agree?

I don't see how you get that impression. Yes there is an q(a-b), but that can appear in other ways, too.

Related to Regarding double well potential

1. What is a double well potential?

A double well potential is a type of potential energy function that describes the energy landscape of a system with two potential energy minima separated by a barrier. It is often used to model physical systems such as molecules, atoms, and particles.

2. How is a double well potential represented mathematically?

A double well potential is typically represented using a mathematical function, such as the Morse potential or the quartic potential. These functions take into account variables such as distance and potential energy to describe the shape of the potential energy landscape.

3. What are some real-world applications of a double well potential?

A double well potential has many applications in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used to model chemical reactions, atomic and molecular dynamics, and the behavior of materials under stress or at different temperatures.

4. How does a double well potential affect the behavior of particles?

The shape of a double well potential can influence the motion and behavior of particles within a system. At low energies, particles may remain trapped in one potential energy minimum, while at higher energies they may be able to overcome the barrier and move between the two minima. This can result in interesting and complex dynamics within the system.

5. Can a double well potential be altered or controlled?

Yes, in some cases, a double well potential can be manipulated by changing certain parameters in the mathematical function or by applying external forces. This can lead to the control of particle behavior and potential applications in fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.