Regarding a bimorph's structure

• Thread starter PhyIsOhSoHard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, a bimorph is a device with two piezoelectric layers separated by a metal shim. The metal shim serves as a common electrical connection to the far end of the bimorph cantilever and allows for independent control of the two piezo elements. It also provides mechanical strength and stiffness while shunting a small portion of the force. Parallel operation, where the supply voltage is applied to each layer individually, requires three wires and offers fabrication and structural advantages. The use of a brass shim reinforcement between the piezoelectric layers is a cost-effective way to produce a durable actuator.
PhyIsOhSoHard
Can anyone explain to me why a bimorph has a metal in between the two piezo-layers?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe it provides the common electrical connection to the far end of the bimorph cantilever.

Likes PhyIsOhSoHard
Baluncore said:
Maybe it provides the common electrical connection to the far end of the bimorph cantilever.

Are you sure? I've tried searching for it many places but I just can't find anything about it.

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
Are you sure? I've tried searching for it many places but I just can't find anything about it.
No, I'm not sure which is why I say maybe.
It is an educated guess in that to control the two piezo elements independently will require a minimum of three electrical connections.
One of those terminals will be common to both piezo elements and so must reach to the far end of the device.
The metal will be repeatably stretched and contracted as the structure walks. Being on the neutral axis will minimise the metal length change.

See; www.piezo.com/tech2intropiezotrans.html
Piezo Systems said:
Parallel Operation: Parallel operation refers to the case where the supply voltage is applied to each layer individually. This means accessing and attaching wires to each layer. A 2-layer bending element wired for parallel operation requires three wires (one attached to each outside electrode and one attached to the center shim), as shown in Figure-18. For the same motion, a 2-layer element poled for parallel operation needs only half the voltage required for series operation.

There are also fabrication and structural advantages.
Piezo Systems said:
The metal shim sandwiched between the two piezo layers provides mechanical strength and stiffness while shunting a small portion of the force.
Piezo Systems said:
The brass shim reinforcement laminated between the two piezoelectric layers is an economical approach to producing a rugged actuator.

Related to Regarding a bimorph's structure

1. What is a bimorph's structure?

A bimorph's structure refers to the physical arrangement of two layers of different materials, typically one piezoelectric layer and one non-piezoelectric layer, that are bonded together to create a device with unique properties.

2. How does a bimorph's structure affect its functionality?

The specific arrangement and properties of the two layers in a bimorph's structure determine its ability to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion and vice versa. This is known as the piezoelectric effect and is the basis for many applications of bimorphs.

3. What materials are commonly used in a bimorph's structure?

Piezoelectric materials such as quartz, PZT, and PVDF are commonly used in a bimorph's structure due to their ability to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. Non-piezoelectric materials such as metals, plastics, and ceramics are also used as the second layer to provide structural support and enhance the bimorph's performance.

4. How is a bimorph's structure fabricated?

Bimorph structures can be fabricated using a variety of techniques including thin-film deposition, screen printing, and lamination. The specific method used depends on the materials being used and the desired properties of the bimorph.

5. What are some common applications of bimorphs?

Bimorphs have a wide range of applications including in sensors, actuators, energy harvesters, and medical devices. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as in the vibration motors of smartphones, and in industrial equipment for precision positioning and control.