% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart. Any?

In summary: Thanks for the reply. I understand your concerns and will take them into account when I perform the reflectivity measurements.
Buckeye
Does anyone have a link to a chart or table that shows the % of light reflection from some solid as the wavelength is changed from RadioWave to X-ray?

Physics news on Phys.org
See Rohsenow & Hartnett, Handbook of Heat Transfer, for IR to UV properties of a handful of materials.

Obtaining a graph with such a large bandwidth would be difficult to obtain for several reasons;

- More than one source and detector would be needed. Calibrating different sources and detectors to achieve a single output is extremely difficult.
- Lack of near-monochromatic sources in some regions of the spectrum, most notably the THz region.
- Lack of tunable sources in some regions of the spectrum.
- Covering such a large region of the spectrum would invariably reduce the resolution of the scan, most likely defeating the whole purpose of performing such a scan in the first place.

What exactly do you need this information for? Perhaps there is an alternative way to obtain what you seek.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
Obtaining a graph with such a large bandwidth would be difficult to obtain for several reasons;
- More than one source and detector would be needed. Calibrating different sources and detectors to achieve a single output is extremely difficult.
- Lack of near-monochromatic sources in some regions of the spectrum, most notably the THz region.
- Lack of tunable sources in some regions of the spectrum.
- Covering such a large region of the spectrum would invariably reduce the resolution of the scan, most likely defeating the whole purpose of performing such a scan in the first place.
What exactly do you need this information for? Perhaps there is an alternative way to obtain what you seek.
Claude.

I'm trying to determine if there is a correlation between wavelength and atomic radii by looking at the % of the photons reflected. As an experienced spectroscopist (XPS, AES, NMR, UV, IR, MS, ToF-SIMS...) with some indepth knowledge of how XPS and AES systems work (or don't work), I'm familiar with the various limitations you noted. As a first pass, I can live with the non-linear response of the detectors. The response ranges will serve as a rough guide to the uncertainties in those parts of the spectral range. Just as you noted, there is no one spectral method that will provide what I seek, but life is hard and so I'm happy to get what ever I can. If something pops out, then we can go in for refinement and extension if money is made available.

Alternatives are always welcome. So, have I explained my interest sufficiently? Many thanks for any help.

Bystander said:
See Rohsenow & Hartnett, Handbook of Heat Transfer, for IR to UV properties of a handful of materials.
Thanks Bystander. Much appreciated.

Buckeye said:
I'm trying to determine if there is a correlation between wavelength and atomic radii by looking at the % of the photons reflected.

Just a couple more questions (and sorry for the late reply, I have been on holidays :biggrin: ).

So you are measuring reflectivity as a function of wavelength, and looking for any correlation with atomic radii of the substance? If so there is an important issue that needs to be addressed.

Take Carbon for example are your substance of interest, Carbon has many forms, Diamond, Graphite, Buckyballs etc. All have different macroscopic properties. Given that the reflectivity spectrum will be different for each Carbon allotrope, I don't see a simple way how the effect of the atomic radii on reflectivity can be isolated from the variance between allotropes.

I assume you will be studying different materials, and herein lies the crux of the problem. How can you be certain that the variance you see between samples is due to the atom size and not due to crystal structure or other intermolecular property of the solid you are analysing? One solution could be to use single atoms, however such spectra, as you are probably aware, are difficult to obtain.

Claude.

Related to % Reflection vs Wavelength Chart. Any?

1. What is a "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart?"

A "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart" is a graphical representation of the relationship between the percentage of light reflected and the wavelength of the light. It is used to study the reflective properties of materials and can provide information about the material's composition and structure.

2. How is a "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart" created?

A "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart" is created by measuring the percentage of light reflected at various wavelengths using a spectrophotometer. This data is then plotted on a graph with the wavelength on the x-axis and the percentage of reflection on the y-axis.

3. What can a scientist learn from a "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart"?

A scientist can learn about the reflective properties of a material, including its reflectance spectrum and the wavelengths of light that are most and least reflected. This information can be used to identify or characterize materials, as well as understand their physical and chemical properties.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect a "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart"?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits a surface, can affect the reflective properties of a material and therefore, the data on a "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart." For accurate results, it is important to keep the angle of incidence consistent when measuring and plotting data.

5. Can a "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart" be used for all types of light?

Yes, a "% Reflection vs Wavelength Chart" can be used for all types of light, including visible light, infrared light, and ultraviolet light. However, the type of light used may affect the range of wavelengths that can be measured and plotted on the chart.