Reduction of Order to find 2nd solution of DE

• Thread starter zabumafu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, the Reduction of Order method is a technique used to find a second linearly independent solution to a second-order linear differential equation when the first solution is already known. This method is only applicable to homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients, and requires the first solution to be known. To use this method, a new function is substituted for the dependent variable in the original equation, and the resulting first-order equation is solved to obtain the second solution. This method cannot be used for non-linear differential equations, as they require different methods for finding a second solution. Linearly independent solutions refer to two solutions that cannot be written as multiples of each other, and must have different forms.
zabumafu

Homework Statement

t^2y''-4ty'+6y=0 t>0, y1(t)=t^2 find the 2nd solution using method of reduction of order.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let y=v(t)t^2
y'=2tv+v't^2
y''=2v+2tv'+v''t^2+2tv'

put in back into eq and solving reduces to (checked it twice)
t^4*v''=0
v''=0
Then I integrated with respect to T
v'=c (c is some constant)
v(t)=ct where c is a constant.

I substituted v(t) back into y=v(t)*t^2 and got y2=ct^3 where c is some constant so y2=t^3? I know that's the answer but did I correctly do all these steps? Also do I need to show the wronskian in order to prove that the solution is acceptable as y1 and y2 need to form a fundamental set of solutions? Thanks I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

--------Problem 2: same question different equation

(x-1)y''-xy'+y=0 x>1 y1=e^x

let y=v(t)e^x
y'=v'e^x +ve^x
y''=v''e^x +2v'e^x +ve^x

into the eq:
e^x[(x-1)(v''+2v'+v)-x(v'+v)+v]=0
(x-1)v''+(x-2)v'=0 then I get confused

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have done problem 1 correctly.

For problem 2, after you have
e^x[(x-1)(v''+2v'+v)-x(v'+v)+v]=0
(x-1)v''+(x-2)v'=0
let u= v' so your differential equation is (x- 1)u'+ (x- 2)u= 0, a differential equation of order 1 (this was, after all, a "reduction of order" method).

That is, in fact, a separable equation- it can be written as (x- 1)u'= (2- x)u and then [tex]\frac{du}{u}= \frac{2- x}{x- 1}dx[/tex]. Integrate both sides.

Related to Reduction of Order to find 2nd solution of DE

1. What is the Reduction of Order method used for in finding a second solution to a differential equation?

The Reduction of Order method is used to find a second linearly independent solution to a second-order linear differential equation when the first solution is already known. This method is useful when solving homogeneous differential equations.

2. Can the Reduction of Order method be used for non-linear differential equations?

No, the Reduction of Order method can only be used for linear differential equations. Non-linear equations require different methods for finding a second solution.

3. How does the Reduction of Order method work?

The Reduction of Order method involves substituting a new function, u(x), for the dependent variable in the given differential equation. This new function is then used to eliminate the highest-order derivative in the equation, resulting in a first-order differential equation. Solving this new equation will yield the second solution to the original differential equation.

4. What is meant by a linearly independent solution?

Two solutions to a differential equation are considered linearly independent if neither can be written as a multiple of the other. In other words, the solutions should have different forms and cannot be reduced to the same solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Reduction of Order method?

Yes, the Reduction of Order method can only be used when the given differential equation is homogeneous (meaning all terms have the same degree) and has constant coefficients. Additionally, the first solution must be known in order to use this method.