Reducing Water Velocity Without Reducing Flow: Finding the Right Valve

In summary, someone is seeking help with reducing the energy and spray from a 4 inch pipe with a 2 inch orifice, carrying water at a rate of 50L/s and a head of 100m. They are looking for a valve that can maintain the flow rate while reducing the velocity of the water, but understand that adding any kind of valve will decrease the flow rate. Suggestions include moving the orifice further upstream or deflecting/diffusing the spray. The person also mentions that changing the head and flow rate will likely result in the same velocity.
VooDoo
Hi all,

Need a bit of help with a problem. I have a 4 inch pipe (carrying water). On the end of this 4 inch pipe is a 2" orifice. Now flowing through this orifice is water at 50L/s at a head of 100m (790 GPM and 330 feet).

Basically as you can imagine, there is a lot of energy behind this flow. Some of the issues behind this is the high energy flow and the spray of the release. It is impossible to walk past without getting wet.

So I am looking for a type valve that will reduce the 'energy' of the water. I need to maintain the flow rate of 50L/s. Ideally I need the water to be released at a lower velocity but the same flow rate at the same head. What are my options? From what I understand, a pressure reducing valve will slow down the fluid but also reduce the flow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it only is the spray that you want to reduce then why not just deflect or diffuse it?

Adding a valve of any kind will reduce flow rate. It's just another restriction.

The orifice is in the wrong location. Put it further upstream and have the 4" pipe continue down to the outlet, or add some additional pipe on the orifice outlet.

What are you using the water for?
If you keep the same head and flow rate I think that you're stuck with the same velocity.

Related to Reducing Water Velocity Without Reducing Flow: Finding the Right Valve

What is a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container. Examples of fluids include water, oil, and air.

What is a valve?

A valve is a device that controls the flow of a fluid by opening, closing, or partially obstructing a passage or pipe.

How do valves work?

Valves work by using a mechanical mechanism or electrical control to open or close a passage or pipe, thus regulating the flow of fluid.

What are the different types of valves?

There are various types of valves, including gate valves, ball valves, butterfly valves, globe valves, and check valves. Each type has its own specific design and function.

What are valves used for?

Valves are used in a wide range of applications, including controlling the flow of fluids in plumbing systems, regulating the flow of gases in industrial processes, and managing the flow of fluids in vehicles and machinery.