Reducing standing waves with phase randomization

In summary, Will constantly randomizing the phase of an audio signal, say a speaker in the corner of a square room, reduce standing waves (i.e. room modes) in the room?
Jaryd Miles
Will constantly randomizing the phase of an audio signal, say a speaker in the corner of a square room, reduce standing waves (i.e. room modes) in the room?

For example if you wanted to create a diffuse field in a small (i.e. no standing wave interference patterns) at low frequencies.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would produce a frequency dependent amplitude modulation of the original programme. Could sound pretty unpleasant, I think.

I doubt you get much interfetence of low frequency audio in a room that you couldn't fix with a mixer/equaliser.

houlahound said:
I doubt you get any inte5frtrncr of low frequency audio in a room.
I was referring to the frequency of the random phase changes.
The problem, I thing, would be that any variation at any frequency will be audible and probably unpleasant.

sophiecentaur said:
I was referring to the frequency of the random phase changes.
The problem, I thing, would be that any variation at any frequency will be audible and probably unpleasant.
Say the application is testing the sound insulation of a wall, where it is desired to have equal energy at all frequencies incident on the wall (to give a truer representation of the wall's performance). So 'audio quality' aside, would the random phase give a more even sound pressure level around the room or would the standing waves and the associated nodes/anti-nodes remain in the same position?

If you are trying to measure, rather than to listen, I should think that a swept frequency measurement would take you through peaks and troughs in the sound level, measured in the room, as the phase difference of direct and reflected wave change with frequency. That would give a good indication of the absorbency of the wall material. I remember, years before you could buy RF vector analysers at a decent price, we used a R&S instrument that worked on the same principle to what I'm suggesting and it would give you the equivalent to a swept Voltage Standing Wave Ratio, which would tell you how good the termination was, on a cable.
Now this method will not tell you 'sound insulation' because you need to measure levels on the other side of the wall BUT it will tell you the sound absorbency (but you don't know if the incident sound has gone through or been lost in the material of the wall.

Last edited:

Related to Reducing standing waves with phase randomization

1. What are standing waves and why do they need to be reduced?

Standing waves are a type of wave phenomenon that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in areas of high and low amplitudes, creating a "standing" pattern. Standing waves can cause issues in certain applications, such as in audio systems, where they can cause unwanted feedback and distortion.

2. How does phase randomization help reduce standing waves?

Phase randomization is a technique that involves altering the phase of one or both waves in a standing wave. By randomizing the phase, the interference between the two waves becomes less predictable and the standing wave pattern is disrupted. This can help reduce the amplitude of the standing wave and minimize its effects.

3. Can standing waves be completely eliminated with phase randomization?

No, standing waves cannot be completely eliminated with phase randomization alone. However, it can significantly reduce their impact and make them less noticeable. Other techniques, such as using dampening materials or changing the physical layout of the space, may also be necessary to fully eliminate standing waves.

4. Are there any downsides to using phase randomization for reducing standing waves?

While phase randomization can be effective in reducing standing waves, it can also result in a loss of clarity and definition in the sound or wave being produced. This is because the randomized phase can cause the wave to become less coherent and potentially distort the intended signal. It is important to find a balance between reducing standing waves and maintaining the quality of the signal.

5. Is phase randomization used in other applications besides reducing standing waves?

Yes, phase randomization is a commonly used technique in various fields, such as telecommunications, signal processing, and quantum physics. It can be used for a variety of purposes, including reducing interference, improving signal quality, and enhancing security in communication systems.