Reduce magnetic radition from motors

In summary, the conversation is about building a small car that can navigate on its own using 2 DC motors and a compass. The issue is the magnetic noise from the motors interfering with the compass. The best solution is to shield the motors with mu-metal or another material with high permeability. Plain iron may work, but mu-metal is expensive and difficult to handle. It is important to keep the shield close to the motors and far away from the compass. A flat piece of metal can be used as a platform for other electronics.
FatMooseHenry
Hello.
Im building a small car, that should be able to navigate/drive arround on it own. The short version of my problem can be stated as: 2 DC motors, 1 compas ;)

The two DC motors are PWM controlled, and dispatch magnetic noise all arround. To be able to work with my compas, I would like to reduce the radiation as much as possible, but what is the best ways of doing this? And is it even possible to reduce it enough to be able to use the compas? The motors runs at 12V, and there is a fairly amount of space around the motors

Kind regards
Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible.
You need to shield the motors with mu-metal or some other material with high permeability. In many cases plain iron (not steel) works quite well but it might not be enough here.
Mu-metal is unfortunately quite expensive and difficult to handle; if you e.g. bend it you have to heat-treat it before it can be used. If you are lucky you might be able to find a company that sells an "enclosure" that you can use directly.

hi
Thank you for your reply. I must look up in some material tabels then.
I was wondering... As the material that will be used will be magnitized, it will also have a magnetic field (right?)

That would imply that the best solution is to keep the shield as close to the motors as possible (and as far away from the compas as possible).

I ask because it is possible to just put a flat piece of metal over the motors, and then just use this for a platform to build the other electronics on...

Related to Reduce magnetic radition from motors

1. How does magnetic radiation from motors affect human health?

Magnetic radiation from motors can potentially cause health issues such as headaches, dizziness, and nausea. It has also been linked to long-term health problems such as cancer.

2. What are the main sources of magnetic radiation from motors?

The main sources of magnetic radiation from motors are the electromagnetic fields produced by the motor's coils and the rotating magnetic field created by the motor's rotor.

3. Can magnetic radiation from motors be reduced?

Yes, it is possible to reduce magnetic radiation from motors. This can be done by using shielding materials, adjusting the design and placement of the motor, and implementing proper grounding and wiring techniques.

4. How can I protect myself from magnetic radiation from motors?

To protect yourself from magnetic radiation from motors, you can limit your exposure by maintaining a safe distance from the motor, using shielding devices, and avoiding prolonged exposure to high levels of magnetic radiation.

5. Are there regulations or guidelines for reducing magnetic radiation from motors?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines in place for reducing magnetic radiation from motors. Organizations such as the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) have established safety limits for exposure to magnetic fields.