Reduce an equation to a homogenous equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cadbury
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses transforming a given equation into a homogeneous form, which can be achieved through a linear transformation. The procedure involves setting new variables and solving for the derivatives, ultimately leading to a final equation in terms of the original variables.
Cadbury
Hi, please help me solve this problem :)

Reduce (2x + 3y - 5) dx + (3x - y - 2) dy = 0 into a homogenous equation

I know that a differential equation Mdx + Ndy is homogeneous in x and y and if M and N are homogeneous functions of the same degree but given this, I have no idea where to start. Should I multiply both sides to something? Any help will be appreciated :)
Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cadbury,

I misunderstood your question at first but you can reduce your equation to a homogeneous type by a linear transformation of the form $u = x + A$, $v = y + B$ for constants $A$ and $B$.

Last edited:
Cadbury said:
Hi, please help me solve this problem :)

Reduce (2x + 3y - 5) dx + (3x - y - 2) dy = 0 into a homogenous equation

I know that a differential equation Mdx + Ndy is homogeneous in x and y and if M and N are homogeneous functions of the same degree but given this, I have no idea where to start. Should I multiply both sides to something? Any help will be appreciated :)
Thank you so much!

Welcome on MHB Cadbury!...

... the procedure is tedious but not difficult!... setting $\displaystyle 2\ x + 3\ y - 5 = u$ and $\displaystyle 3\ x - y - 2 = v$ You obtain first...

$\displaystyle d u = 2\ d x + 3\ d y$

$\displaystyle d v = 3\ d x - d y\ (1)$

Solving (1) ...

$\displaystyle d x = \frac{d u + 3\ d v}{11}$

$\displaystyle d y = \frac{3\ d u - 2\ d v}{11}\ (2)$

... and now from (2) and the original equation...

$\displaystyle \frac{d y}{d x} = \frac{3\ du - 2\ d v}{d u + 3\ d v} = - \frac{u}{v}\ (3)$

... and finally with some steps...

$\displaystyle \frac{d u}{d v} = \frac{2\ v - 3\ u}{3\ v + u}\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Welcome on MHB Cadbury!...

... the procedure is tedious but not difficult!... setting $\displaystyle 2\ x + 3\ y - 5 = u$ and $\displaystyle 3\ x - y - 2 = v$ You obtain first...

$\displaystyle d u = 2\ d x + 3\ d y$

$\displaystyle d v = 3\ d x - d y\ (1)$

Solving (1) ...

$\displaystyle d x = \frac{d u + 3\ d v}{11}$

$\displaystyle d y = \frac{3\ d u - 2\ d v}{11}\ (2)$

... and now from (2) and the original equation...

$\displaystyle \frac{d y}{d x} = \frac{3\ du - 2\ d v}{d u + 3\ d v} = - \frac{u}{v}\ (3)$

... and finally with some steps...

$\displaystyle \frac{d u}{d v} = \frac{2\ v - 3\ u}{3\ v + u}\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you very much! :) :) :)

To reduce an equation to a homogenous equation, we need to make both the coefficients of dx and dy have the same degree. In other words, we want to make the equation have the same degree of homogeneity. To do this, we can divide both sides of the equation by the highest power of x and y present in the equation. In this case, we can divide by (2x + 3y) as it is the highest power present in the equation. This will give us:

dx + [(3x - y - 2)/(2x + 3y)]dy = 0

Now, we can define a new variable u = x/y, which means that x = uy. Substituting this into the equation, we get:

dx + [(3uy - y - 2)/(2uy + 3y)]dy = 0

Factoring out y from the numerator, we get:

dx + [y(3u - 1)/(y)(2u + 3)]dy = 0

Simplifying, we get:

dx + [(3u - 1)/(2u + 3)]dy = 0

This is now a homogenous equation as both the coefficients of dx and dy have the same degree of homogeneity (1).

Related to Reduce an equation to a homogenous equation?

1. What does it mean to "reduce an equation to a homogenous equation?"

Reducing an equation to a homogenous equation means transforming it into a form where all the terms on one side of the equation have the same units. This is usually done by dividing both sides of the equation by a suitable factor.

2. Why is it important to reduce an equation to a homogenous equation?

Reducing an equation to a homogenous equation is important because it simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve. It also helps in understanding the relationship between the different variables in the equation.

3. Can any equation be reduced to a homogenous equation?

No, not all equations can be reduced to a homogenous equation. Only equations that involve variables with the same units can be reduced to a homogenous form. Equations involving different units, such as mass and time, cannot be reduced to a homogenous form.

4. What are some common methods for reducing an equation to a homogenous equation?

One common method is to multiply both sides of the equation by a suitable unit conversion factor. Another method is to identify and eliminate any terms with different units on either side of the equation.

5. Are there any other benefits of reducing an equation to a homogenous equation?

Yes, reducing an equation to a homogenous equation can also help in checking the validity of the equation and identifying any mistakes in the units used. It can also make it easier to compare equations and analyze their behavior.