Recurrence relations in asymptotic regime

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of power series method in solving the quantum harmonic oscillator, specifically the recurrence relation and its corresponding asymptotic law. The speaker also mentions using L'Hospital's rule to understand the limit, with the help of ignoring certain terms in the equation.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I'm solving the quantum harmonic oscillator. And I'm solving Schrodinger equation. So I came up to one part where I have to use power series method of solving DE (that or Frobenius would probably work just fine). Now I have the recurrence relation:

[tex]a_{n+2}=\frac{\lambda(2n+1)-k^2}{(n+2)(n+1)}a_n[/tex]

And the text in which this is solved says that for [tex]n\ton\infty[/tex] that leads to asymptotic law

[tex]a_{n+2}=\frac{2\lambda}{n}a_n[/tex] corresponding to the series expansion of [tex]e^{\lambda x^2}[/tex].

Now, I tried looking at the limit, via L'Hospitals rule and I really can't see how they got that! :\

So can someone explain to me how they got that? Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand and divide top and bottom by n:
[tex]
a_{n+1}=\frac{\lambda\left( 2+\frac{1}{n}\right)-\frac{k^{2}}{n}}{n+3+\frac{1}{n}}a_{n}
[/tex]
For n large, the terms in 1/n can be ignored

And I just ignore the 3 in the denominator can be ignored because when n goes to infinity that is negligible, right?

Yep, sound good to me.

Thanks ^^

Related to Recurrence relations in asymptotic regime

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of values based on previous terms in the sequence. It is typically used to model situations where the future value depends on the current value and one or more previous values.

2. What is the asymptotic regime of a recurrence relation?

The asymptotic regime refers to the behavior of a recurrence relation as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity. In this regime, the focus is on the overall growth rate of the sequence rather than the specific values of each term.

3. How is the asymptotic regime of a recurrence relation determined?

The asymptotic regime can be determined by finding the closed-form solution of the recurrence relation and then analyzing its behavior as the number of terms approaches infinity. This is often done using techniques such as substitution or generating functions.

4. What is the significance of studying recurrence relations in the asymptotic regime?

Studying recurrence relations in the asymptotic regime allows us to gain a better understanding of the growth rate and behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. This can be useful in various fields such as computer science, physics, and biology where understanding the long-term behavior of a system is important.

5. How are recurrence relations in the asymptotic regime used in real-world applications?

Recurrence relations in the asymptotic regime are used in many real-world applications, such as analyzing the time complexity of algorithms, modeling population growth, and predicting the spread of diseases. They can also be used to analyze the performance of computer networks and the stability of physical systems.