Rectangular Plate with Varying Density Across the Width

In summary: So the plate's mass is (1/4 ρ0l2ωt) and the coordinates of the center of mass are (1/4 ρ0l2ωt, ω/2, t/2).
taits2204
So the question is

A rectangular plate has length l, width w and thickness t. Its density is constant across the width, but varies with distance from one end as ρ=ρo [1 + (x/l)^2] Find the plate’s mass and the coordinates of it’s centre of mass.

I Have had a bash at this question, thinking that you would take the equation given in the question and then just double integrate to find for a small area and then work from there ? , but i don't even know if I'm in the right ball park?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try doing just that and show us what you get?

Ive attached a copy of my working to the post, i have a feeling that its my maths that's causing the problems...

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 446
What is the primitive function to 1 when integrated wrt x?

You also need to integrate over y, even if the density is constant in y. Otherwise your units will not make sense in the end as you should end up with a result in units of mass. Note that density has units mass/length^3. The integral over z should be trivial (see the first comment in this message).

Likes 1 person
You have only a double integral when you should have either a triple integral or, since the density is constant of the width, that double integral multiplied by the width, w. You say the density is constant over the width but say nothing about how it varies with depth. Are we to assume that it is constant over the thickness? If so then the density is1- the integral with respect to x multiplied by w and t.

By symmetry, the x and z coordinates (length and depth) of the center of mass are (1/2)l and (1/2)t. The y coordinate is [tex]wt\int_0^l x(\rho_0)(1- (x/l)^2)dx[/tex].

Likes 1 person
oops .. didnt quote right, sorry :P

taits2204 said:
HallsofIvy said:
Are we to assume that it is constant over the thickness? If so then the density is1- the integral with respect to x multiplied by w and t.

I've just copied the question, so yeah i would assume that the density is also constant over the thickness of the plate. I'll take a crack at that and see what i get :) thanks

HallsofIvy said:
By symmetry, the x and z coordinates (length and depth) of the center of mass are (1/2)l and (1/2)t. The y coordinate is [tex]wt\int_0^l x(\rho_0)(1- (x/l)^2)dx[/tex].

You mixed x and y coordinates. You also need to divide by the total mass, the given expression does not have dimension of length.

Orodruin said:
You mixed x and y coordinates. You also need to divide by the total mass, the given expression does not have dimension of length.

so where do i go from here then ?
i solved the integral HallsofIvy gave me, giving me 1/4 ρ0l2ωt woudlnt that just mean that the coordinates for the COM are (1/4 ρ0l2ωt , ω/2 , t/2)

No, as I said he is expression for the x-coordinate must be divided by the total mass, which you still have to solve for correctly.

so would it be right to say

dm = ρowt[1+(x/l)^2) dx

wo xdm = ∫woρowt[1+(x/l)^2) x dx
and then solve from there ?

Related to Rectangular Plate with Varying Density Across the Width

1. What is a rectangular plate with varying density across the width?

A rectangular plate with varying density across the width is a type of structure that has different density values at different points along its width. This means that the plate is not uniformly dense, but instead has a gradient of density from one side to the other.

2. How is the density of a rectangular plate measured?

The density of a rectangular plate is typically measured in units of mass per unit area, such as kilograms per square meter. This value can be determined by dividing the mass of the plate by its area. Alternatively, the density can be calculated by measuring the thickness of the plate and its weight, and using the formula density = mass/area.

3. What are some potential applications of a rectangular plate with varying density across the width?

A rectangular plate with varying density across the width can be used in various engineering and scientific applications. It can be used to create structures with different strength and flexibility properties, such as in the design of aircraft wings or bridges. It can also be used in materials science research to study the effects of varying density on the properties of materials.

4. How does varying density across the width affect the structural integrity of a rectangular plate?

The varying density across the width of a rectangular plate can have a significant impact on its structural integrity. This is because the density gradient can create areas of stress concentration, which can lead to failure or deformation of the plate. However, when designed and implemented correctly, the varying density can also enhance the structural integrity and performance of the plate.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a rectangular plate with varying density across the width?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing a rectangular plate with varying density across the width. These include the desired properties of the plate, such as strength and flexibility, the materials used, the manufacturing process, and the intended application. It is also important to consider the potential effects of the varying density on the structural integrity of the plate and to carefully calculate and test the design before implementation.