Rectangle inscribed in generic ellipse

In summary, the problem is to find the largest possible area of a rectangle inscribed in the ellipse (x2/a2)+(y2/b2)=1, with the sides of the rectangle parallel to the axes of the ellipse. One approach to solving this problem is by using Laplace multipliers. The area of the rectangle can be expressed as A = xy, and the constraint can be expressed as F(x,y) = b2x2 + a2y2 = a2b2. Differentiating A and F yields the equations y = 2bx and x = 2ay. These equations can be solved simultaneously to find the values of x and y that give the maximum area.
v0id19

Homework Statement

Largest possible area of a rectangle inscribed in the ellipse (x2/a2)+(y2/b2)=1

Homework Equations

Area of the rectangle = length*height

The Attempt at a Solution

I have it set up so that the four corners of the rectangle are at (x,y) (-x,y) (-x,-y) (x,-y) and that area therefore is A=(2x)(2y).
In order to find the max area, I know I need to differentiate the equation, so I need to eliminate either x or y.
Using the ellipse equation, I found x to be equal to sqrt(a2-(y2a2)/b2).
Substituting that into the area equation I get:
A=2(sqrt(a2-(y2a2)/b2))*(2y).

And differentiating that has been a nightmare and I haven't gotten it right yet. I know a and b are constants, and become one in the derivative.

But is there any easier way of solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like "Laplace multipliers" would make this much simpler. You have an ellipse of the form b2x2+ a2y2= a2b2. I notice you are assuming that the maximal area rectangle has its sides parallel to the axes of the ellipse. I'm not sure that follows easily but I can't see any more general way of doing this. You want to maximize A(xy)= xy with the constraint F(x,y)= b2x2+ a2y2= a2.
[itex]\nabla A= y\vec{i}+ x\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\nabla F= 2b^2x\vec{i}+ 2a^2y\vec{j}[/itex].

One must be a multiple of the other.

I'm just in calculus BC and am not familiar with 'laplace multipliers' how does that work?

Related to Rectangle inscribed in generic ellipse

What is a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse?

A rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse is a rectangle whose four corners lie on the boundary of an ellipse. This means that the rectangle's sides are tangent to the ellipse at those points.

How is the area of a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse calculated?

The area of a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse can be calculated using the formula A = ab, where a and b are the lengths of the rectangle's two sides. These sides can be found using the ellipse's semi-major and semi-minor axes.

What is the relationship between the sides of a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse?

The sides of a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse are always in a ratio of the ellipse's semi-major and semi-minor axes. This means that the ratio of the rectangle's width to its height is equal to the ratio of the ellipse's semi-major axis to its semi-minor axis.

Can a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse have any orientation?

No, a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse will always have its sides parallel to the ellipse's axes. This is because the sides of the rectangle must be tangent to the ellipse at their respective points, and the only way for this to happen is if the sides are parallel to the axes.

Are there any real-world applications of a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of a rectangle inscribed in a generic ellipse. Examples include designing elliptical swimming pools, creating elliptical racetracks, and calculating the area of a plot of land bounded by an elliptical fence.