Recovering lagrangian from equations of motion

In summary, it is possible to reconstruct an action/ Lagrangian for a system if you know the equations of motion and know the form of the Lagrangian. However, it may be impossible to find a Lagrangian that exactly reproduces a given set of equations.
tulip
Hi guys, I have a question about finding a lagrangian formulation of a theory.

If I have a system for which I know the equations of motion but not the form of the lagrangian, is it possible to find the lagrangian that will give me those equations of motion? Is there a systematic way of doing this?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is. Basically you have to guess your Lagrangian and check that it gives you the correct equations of motion.

It may (some times) be impossible to find a Lagrangian that identically reproduces a given set of equations as its Euler-Lagrange equations. Indeed, action principle is not very useful for describing systems in which viscosity or heat transfer is important. In most such cases no Lagrangian / action is known. However, if an action /Lagrangian does exist, we can indeed reconstructed. Let me show you how;

We know that if an action [itex]S[\phi][/itex] is given, then the equations of motion are

[tex]E(\phi) = \frac{\delta S[\phi]}{\delta \phi(x)}= 0 \ \ \ (1)[/tex]

where [itex]\delta S / \delta \phi[/itex] is the variation derivative of the action with respect to the dynamical variables [itex]\phi(x)[/itex];

[tex]\delta S[\phi] = \int d^{n}x \frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi(x)} \delta \ \phi(x) \ \ \ (2)[/tex]

Suppose now that eq(1) is given and we want to reconstruct [itex]S[\phi][/itex]. In order to do this, we introduce a (homotopy) parameter [itex]\lambda \in [0,1][/itex], and let

[tex]\phi(x) \rightarrow \lambda \phi(x)[/tex]

in eq(1);

[tex]E(\lambda \phi) = \frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi}|_{\phi = \lambda \phi}[/tex]

Next, we use eq(2) to write the derivative of [itex]S[\lambda \phi][/itex] with respect to [itex]\lambda[/itex];

[tex]
\frac{d}{d\lambda}S[\lambda \phi] = \int d^{n}x \frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi}|_{\phi = \lambda \phi}\ \frac{d}{d\lambda}(\lambda \phi ) = \int d^{n}x \ E(\lambda \phi ) \ \phi (x)
[/tex]

Integrating this equation from [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex] to [itex]\lambda = 1[/itex] gives (up to an arbitrary additive constant);

[tex]
S[\phi] = \int d^{n}x \int_{0}^{1} d \lambda \ E(\lambda \phi )\ \phi (x) \ \ \ (3)
[/tex]

Finally, we may need to integrate by parts and throw away all surface terms before reading off the Lagrangian from eq(3).

For example let us reconstruct the Lagrangian which leads to the following equation of motion;

[tex]\partial_{a}\partial^{a}\phi + \cos (\phi^{2}) = 0[/tex]

From eq(3) we get , after integrating the 1st term by part,
[tex]
S[\phi] = \int d^{n}x \int_{0}^{1} d\lambda \{ - \lambda \partial_{a}\phi \partial^{a}\phi + \phi \cos (\lambda^{2}\phi^{2}) \}
[/tex]

From this we find our Lagrangian;

[tex]
\mathcal{L} = - \frac{1}{2}\partial_{a}\phi \partial^{a}\phi + \int_{0}^{1}d\lambda\ \phi \ \cos (\lambda^{2}\phi^{2})
[/tex]

Ok, I leave you to reconstruct an action/ Lagrangian which has

[tex]\partial_{a}\partial^{a}\phi - \sin (\phi) = 0[/tex]

as its Euler-Lagrange equation.

Regards

sam

Last edited:
Likes Arantxa
Let me ask a related question: how can one proof/see if there is or there is NOT an action for a given set of equations of motion? :) Are there references for this?

samalkhaiat -> Have been looking for something like this in the past but all I could find was clever guessing work... thanks for posting!

Related to Recovering lagrangian from equations of motion

1. What is the purpose of recovering the lagrangian from equations of motion?

The lagrangian is a fundamental quantity in classical mechanics that describes the dynamics of a system. By recovering the lagrangian from equations of motion, we can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying physical principles governing the system's behavior.

2. How is the lagrangian related to the system's equations of motion?

The lagrangian is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of a system, and it is related to the system's equations of motion through the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations provide a powerful tool for solving complex systems and predicting their future behavior.

3. What is the process for recovering the lagrangian from equations of motion?

The process for recovering the lagrangian depends on the specific system being studied. In general, it involves identifying the system's degrees of freedom and writing down the kinetic and potential energy terms in terms of those degrees of freedom. The lagrangian is then obtained by taking the difference between these two terms.

4. Can the lagrangian be recovered for all systems?

In principle, the lagrangian can be recovered for any system that can be described by a set of equations of motion. However, the process may become more complex for systems with a large number of degrees of freedom or for systems with non-conservative forces.

5. How does recovering the lagrangian help in solving complex problems?

Recovering the lagrangian can help in solving complex problems by reducing the problem to a set of equations that can be easily solved using the Euler-Lagrange equations. This approach is particularly useful for systems with multiple degrees of freedom or systems with complicated interactions between different components.