Reconsidering Forum Rules: The Impact of Closing Solved Threads

• Thread starter wajed
  • Start date
In summary, because there are six different definitions of philosophy, any discussion on what it means to different people is worthless.
wajed
Is it of forums rules to close "solved" questions?
Why would a thread that got one "solution" be closed? I mean, what is the gain from closing it? I haven't even seen one solved thread on PF that got closed because it got a solution.
Better yet, the solution to my question was even an irrelevant solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Only threads that have the potential to drag on with irrelevant and unnecessary discussion get closed as "solved".

You asked if there was a definition of philosophy, a reference to a dictionary was provided. Your question was solved - anything further would be unnecessary.

No, no. You and Evo say the same thing. I didn't ask for a definition for Philosophy. I was asking if there was a "standard" definition, and I went further and asked about what could be the reason there is no one, and I explained my opinion of what could be the reason there isn't one. It seems clear to me.

Anyway, if after this explanation the thread is worth opening again, please open it.

wajed said:
No, no. You and Evo say the same thing. I didn't ask for a definition for Philosophy. I was asking if there was a "standard" definition, and I went further and I asked about my opinion of what could be the reason there isn't one. It should clear.

Anyway, if after this explanation the thread is worth opening again, please open it.

You asked for a standard definition. That is the definition agreed upon in the dictionaries, which you were provided. Any further discussion was worthless.

You asked for an opinion on why there wasn't one, when there clearly is one - as per the dictionary.

You're whole "there is isn't a standard definition and why" idea is ridiculous simply because there is a standard definition.

Wajed, if you want to have a philosophical discussion on what philosophy is, then you need to post in the philosophy forum following the guidelines, plus the new rules. Links to both are posted at the top of the Philosophy forum.

Your post in GD is not the place for such a discussion. And no, you're post isn't clear.

Can you provide me the definition that is agreed upon in the dictionaries?

Because at that link alone provided earlier, there are six definitions.

wajed said:

Those are the definitions that appear in all the dictionaries (or similarly worded) - hence, agreed upon.

What you want to discuss is what it means to different people. Not the same thing.

wajed said:

There are many branches in Philosophy. read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

If you want to start a discussion, then start a thread in philosophy following the guidelines so that people can figure out what you want to discuss.

Feedback is not the place for reopening your thread.

Related to Reconsidering Forum Rules: The Impact of Closing Solved Threads

What are the consequences for breaking forum rules?

The consequences for breaking forum rules can vary depending on the severity of the offense and the specific rules of the forum. Common consequences may include a warning from moderators, temporary or permanent suspension of posting privileges, or even being banned from the forum entirely.

How can I report someone for breaking forum rules?

If you come across someone who is breaking forum rules, you can usually report them to the moderators or administrators of the forum. Look for a "report" or "flag" button on their post or profile, or reach out to a moderator directly via private message or email.

Are there any rules about what I can and cannot post on the forum?

Yes, most forums have specific guidelines and rules about what type of content is allowed to be posted. This may include restrictions on profanity, hate speech, personal attacks, or spam. It's important to familiarize yourself with these rules before posting to avoid any consequences.

Can I appeal a decision made by moderators regarding forum rules?

In most cases, you can appeal a decision made by moderators about forum rules. This may involve contacting the moderators or administrators directly and explaining your perspective, or submitting a formal appeal through the forum's designated process.

Why do forums have rules in the first place?

Forums have rules in place to create a safe and respectful environment for all users. These rules help to prevent conflicts, maintain the integrity of the forum, and ensure that all members can participate and engage in discussions without fear of harassment or discrimination.