Recommended Quantum Physics and Maths book?

In summary, these books are good choices for someone wanting to learn more about differential equations and quantum mechanics.
bubblewrap
Hi, I'm currently in high school but I know several university maths and physics (just a little)
I want to know about

Maths:
Lagrangian and Hamiltonian
Fourier Transform (I self-studied Fourier series)
Differential Equations (only know one way to solve them, I think its the most basic one)
Gaussian Function and its properties (like multiplying two of them and making a one with a p I couldn't find anything related to it online)
Surface Integrals and more on integrals (like Cantor Integrals)

Physics:
Quantum Mechanics(I've learned the basics so I want something that's understandable (with proofs would be nice) but not too easy but then not too hard as well. So I guess I want introductory Quantum Mechanics Book with a little rigor)
Relativity: Understandable one with a lot of contents (exercise questions too)

If anyone could find a good book please let me know.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are pretty advanced subjects. If you are only in high school I would suggest that it would be more beneficial to gain a firm grounding in your maths and physics from the basics up than to jump straight into a book about Lagrangians or differential equations. A thorough understanding of calculus is necessary.

I did do a lot of basic calculus and did year one university mathematics and physics is that okay?

KSG4592 said:
Those are pretty advanced subjects. If you are only in high school I would suggest that it would be more beneficial to gain a firm grounding in your maths and physics from the basics up than to jump straight into a book about Lagrangians or differential equations. A thorough understanding of calculus is necessary.

Forgot to press 'reply'

Try these if you like. I definitely prefer non-standard books, I dislike the ascetic quality that many modern books have.

1. Braun, "Differential Equations and their Applications". Looks like it covers a lot and rigorously but not in the standard way.
2. Holland, "Applied Analysis by the Hilbert Space Method". Looks quirky and very relevant for the modern QM.

I've removed the third suggestion I had here, it's not because I think it was a bad book to choose but I want to step away from these forums for a while and this is a good time to do it. These two seem to fit what you requested very nicely and I leave it up to you which books you want to buy.

Last edited:
Likes bubblewrap

Related to Recommended Quantum Physics and Maths book?

1. What are the top recommended books for learning quantum physics and maths?

Some of the top recommended books for learning quantum physics and maths are "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books for understanding quantum physics and maths?

Yes, there are several beginner-friendly books for understanding quantum physics and maths. Some examples include "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek, "Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide" by Alastair I.M. Rae, and "Quantum Physics: A First Encounter" by Valerio Scarani.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in maths to understand quantum physics?

While having a background in maths can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand quantum physics. There are several books available that provide a gentle introduction to the necessary mathematical concepts, such as "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

4. Can you recommend a book that covers both quantum physics and maths in depth?

"Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman covers both quantum physics and maths in depth. It introduces the fundamental concepts of quantum mechanics and provides a thorough understanding of the mathematical tools needed to work with these concepts.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a book on quantum physics and maths?

Yes, there are several online resources that can supplement a book on quantum physics and maths. Some examples include online lectures and tutorials on platforms like Coursera and Khan Academy, as well as interactive simulations and visualizations on websites like PhET and Quantum Mechanics Playground.