Recommendations for good statistics textbook?

In summary, the person is looking for a statistics textbook that is more mathematically focused and explains the reasoning behind calculations. They are considering the book "All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference" and asking for recommendations.
Ragnarok7
I've never really taken any statistics beyond a college introductory course, and I've been put off taking more because of the lack of mathematical explanations and clarity of the texts that are typically used. Since I have a decent math background (basic analysis, basic algebra) I would much prefer a mathematically inclined text as opposed to one that just teaches you how to calculate various measures without explaining why you are doing it. I've been looking at this text:

All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference (Springer Texts in Statistics): Larry Wasserman: 9780387402727: Amazon.com: Books

Does anybody have any comments on it, or recommendations for other textbooks? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:
I've never really taken any statistics beyond a college introductory course, and I've been put off taking more because of the lack of mathematical explanations and clarity of the texts that are typically used. Since I have a decent math background (basic analysis, basic algebra) I would much prefer a mathematically inclined text as opposed to one that just teaches you how to calculate various measures without explaining why you are doing it. I've been looking at this text:

All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference (Springer Texts in Statistics): Larry Wasserman: 9780387402727: Amazon.com: Books

Does anybody have any comments on it, or recommendations for other textbooks? Thanks!

Here is a really good book.

There many "used" books available.

Related to Recommendations for good statistics textbook?

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a good statistics textbook?

The key factors to consider when choosing a good statistics textbook include the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations and examples, the relevance to your field of study, the suitability for your learning style, and the availability of online resources or supplementary materials.

2. How can I determine the accuracy and credibility of a statistics textbook?

To determine the accuracy and credibility of a statistics textbook, you can look at the author's credentials, the publisher's reputation, and the reviews or recommendations from other experts in the field. It is also important to check for any updates or revisions to the textbook, as statistics is a constantly evolving field.

3. Are there any specific textbooks that are highly recommended by experts in the field of statistics?

There are several textbooks that are highly recommended by experts in the field of statistics, including "The Art of Statistics" by David Spiegelhalter, "Introduction to Probability and Statistics" by William Mendenhall, and "Statistics for Engineers and Scientists" by William Navidi. However, the best textbook for you may depend on your specific needs and learning style.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand statistics textbooks?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful in understanding statistics, it is not always necessary. Many statistics textbooks are designed for students with diverse backgrounds and provide clear explanations and examples to help with understanding. It is important to choose a textbook that matches your current level of knowledge and offers additional resources for those who may need more support in certain areas.

5. Can I find free or affordable statistics textbooks online?

Yes, there are many free or affordable statistics textbooks available online. Some reputable sources for free textbooks include OpenStax, OpenIntro, and Bookboon. Many universities also offer online databases with access to a variety of textbooks. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and accuracy of any free textbooks before using them as your primary source of learning.