Recommendations for a calculus refresher

• Thread starter ibkev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, a highly regarded calculus book is helpful but concise, and many people here are willing to offer help.
ibkev
Hi all - I took engineering a while back and haven't used calculus in a very long time. I'm looking to get back up to speed via self study to a calculus III level so as a next step I can move into differential equations and vector calculus. (My real goal is to work through a self study of undergrad physics.)

I more/less remember how to apply calculus but have long forgotten the mechanics of the various differentiation/integration techniques, etc. I picked up the Kline Calculus book because it is both cheap and highly regarded. Having spent some time with it, I can see why it's highly regarded but, because it contains lengthy applications interwoven with the calculus techniques, I'd like something more succinct and math focussed.

Can anyone recommend such a text? Since I'm doing self study, lots of solved examples are valuable to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ibkev,

I am in a similar situation than you: I started to study by myself quantum physics some time ago, and, in the process, I realized I had to to take my old calculus books.

In my case these books are two: an old edition of Calculus and Analytic Geometry by George Thomas as well as Calculus by Tom Apostol. You better be ready to struggle at the time to review these sort of topics and books, and, I confess, in the beginning you can feel overwhelming, but, later you will enjoy them: the main motivation you can use is to come back to be familiarized with these topics, and then, everything will become easier. As for my recent experience you need to read solved examples, and, to study theory as well.

You are in the right place: many people here are willing to help other as us.

Good luck

Likes ibkev

Related to Recommendations for a calculus refresher

1. What is a calculus refresher?

A calculus refresher is a review of fundamental concepts and techniques in calculus. It is designed to help individuals who have previously studied calculus but may need to brush up on their skills before taking advanced courses or using calculus in their work.

2. Who should take a calculus refresher?

Anyone who has previously studied calculus but feels they may have forgotten important concepts or techniques can benefit from a calculus refresher. This could include high school or college students, as well as professionals in fields where calculus is used, such as engineering or finance.

3. How can I find a calculus refresher course?

There are many online resources and courses available for a calculus refresher. Some universities also offer non-credit refresher courses for adults. Additionally, there are books and study guides specifically designed for a calculus refresher.

4. How long does a calculus refresher typically take?

This can vary depending on the individual's starting level of understanding and the depth of the review. Some refresher courses may only take a few days, while others may span several weeks or months. It is important to find a pace that works for you and allows you to fully understand the material.

5. What topics are typically covered in a calculus refresher?

A calculus refresher will usually cover basic concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, as well as more advanced topics like optimization and curve sketching. It may also include review of algebra and trigonometry, which are important foundations for calculus.