Recommend a textbook about differential equations

In summary, a textbook about differential equations can be recommended for those who want to study it on their own. For those who want more of a guide, I recommend the Edwards and Penney book and for absolute beginners the Leighton book.
princeton118
Can someone recommend a textbook about differential equations?
I am going to study it by myself, so I need a good textbook!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems , 8th Edition, by William E. Boyce (Author), Richard C. DiPrima (Author)

I had it for my intermediate DE class. I think it's a really good book that not only covers the absolute basics but covers some useful intermediate stuff. It's well written and there is a solutions manual available, which if you are studying this independently, is by far very useful. I liked it b/c it had a lot of useful examples in it, and some interesting applications.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471433381/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you want an extremely introductory book, I used the Edwards and Penney DE book for baby-DE which also has a solutions manual available.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0136006132/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I just thought that the Boyce book was better written and covered more material.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your goal when doing DEs? If it's just being able to look at a DE and say "oh this fits this category therefore to solve it I need to use ..." then you should REA Problem Solvers - Differential Equations. It does pretty much just that. Each chapter addresses a certain form of a DE in theoretical terms (about 2-3 pages) and how to solve it (by doing 30 pages of problems with detailed solutions). They also have a little chapter about PDEs and other random topics. It's fairly cheap.

For absolute beginners I recommend

"An introduction to the theory of differential equations" by Walter Leighton, 1952, 174 pages, it contains short theoretical chapters and lots of examples and exercises with answers on the back.

Then I would continue with

"Differential Equations, linear, nonlinear, ordinary, partial" by A. King, J. Billingham, S. Otto, 2003, 541 pages with lots of examples from real world problems and exercises, no answers. It gives flavor even to more advanced topics like Lie symmetries of DE, phase portraits and chaos theory.

Thank you all above.

Related to Recommend a textbook about differential equations

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. Why do I need a textbook about differential equations?

A textbook about differential equations is essential for understanding the concepts and applications of this mathematical topic. It provides clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help you master the subject.

3. What are some important topics covered in a textbook about differential equations?

A textbook about differential equations typically covers topics such as first-order differential equations, higher-order differential equations, systems of equations, and applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning differential equations?

Yes, there are many textbooks available for learning differential equations. Some popular options include "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by Simmons, and "A First Course in Differential Equations" by Zill.

5. How can I use a textbook about differential equations effectively?

To make the most out of a textbook about differential equations, it is important to read and understand the material thoroughly, practice solving problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to use additional resources such as online tutorials and practice quizzes.