Recognizing Standing Waves: Simple Equation Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses how to recognize if a given equation represents a standing wave or not. It is determined that a standing wave is formed when two waves of the same amplitude and frequency, traveling with the same speed in opposite directions interfere with each other. However, the equation provided in the textbook does not accurately represent a standing wave and instead is a superposition of two standing waves. It is also noted that a wave cannot be both traveling and standing at the same time.
nil1996

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,
I am stuck with a basic concept.How do we can recognize if a given equation is wave or not?For example we know that the standing waves equation is y=2Acos(kx)sin(ωt). In my textbook there is a problem which says that two waves having only different amplitudes are traveling on opposite directions on x-axis. They have asked if the waves form standing waves.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all i wrote the following equations.
y1=A1sin(kx-ωt) ; y1=A2sin(kx+ωt)
i added them and got
y1+y2= (A2+A1)sin(kx)cos(ωt)+(A2-A1)coskxsinωt

how do i recognize if this equation represents a standing wave or not??

Physics news on Phys.org
The standing waves have pretty neat definition.

Standing wave is formed when two waves of the same amplitude and frequency, traveling with the same speed in opposite directions interfere (add up).

I guess, this gives you the answer!

For a given function ##h## to be a traveling wave, it must be of the form ##h(x-vt)##, where v is velocity of wave.

NihalSh said:
The standing waves have pretty neat definition.

I guess, this gives you the answer!

For a given function ##h## to be a traveling wave, it must be of the form ##h(x-vt)##, where v is velocity of wave.

i was thinking the same but my book says that it forms standing waves and also transports energy

nil1996 said:
i was thinking the same but my book says that it forms standing waves and also transports energy

standing waves in general form pattern in which point of minimum and maximum displacement don't change with time, moreover in general there is no transport of energy over large distance.

Maybe author of your book wants to make a point!

You can check this out at: http://www.physics.buffalo.edu/claw/Page15/ProjectCLAW-P15.html

Edit: The equation you found can be considered to be superposition of two standing waves. But it won't reproduce pattern characteristic of standing waves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
NihalSh said:
a wave cannot be both traveling as well as standing because both are complementary to each other!

I meant to say partially traveling.
thanks for guidance:smile:

nil1996 said:
I meant to say partially traveling.
thanks for guidance:smile:

no problem!:wink:

Related to Recognizing Standing Waves: Simple Equation Analysis

What is a simple standing wave?

A simple standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a stationary pattern of nodes (points of zero displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement).

What are the characteristics of a simple standing wave?

A simple standing wave has the following characteristics:

• It does not propagate or travel, but remains in one place.
  • The amplitude of the wave is constant at each point in space.
  • The nodes and antinodes are fixed in position.
  • The wavelength of the wave is twice the distance between adjacent nodes or antinodes.
  • The frequency of the wave is the same as the individual waves that create it.

How do you calculate the wavelength of a simple standing wave?

The wavelength of a simple standing wave can be calculated using the formula λ = 2L/n, where λ is the wavelength, L is the length of the medium, and n is the number of nodes or antinodes present. In other words, the wavelength is equal to twice the length of one segment of the standing wave.

What is the difference between a standing wave and a traveling wave?

The main difference between a standing wave and a traveling wave is that a standing wave does not propagate or travel, but remains in one place. This is because a standing wave is created by the interference of two waves traveling in opposite directions. In contrast, a traveling wave propagates through a medium, carrying energy from one place to another.

What are some real-life examples of simple standing waves?

Some real-life examples of simple standing waves include:

• The vibrations of a guitar string, which create standing waves between the fixed ends of the string.
  • The sound produced by blowing across the top of a glass bottle, which creates standing waves inside the bottle.
  • The vibrations of air molecules in a pipe organ, which create standing waves in the pipes.