Recognize this irreversible equation for kinetic modeling?

In summary, the conversation discusses a velocity equation for a multi-enzymatic system with four substrates, two enzymes, an equilibrium constant, and Michaelis constants. The equation is commonly used in biochemical kinetics but without more information about the specific system, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer. The experts suggest that the equation may be describing a reaction involving two enzymes and two substrates, and provide potential explanations for each variable. They also mention the importance of providing more context and information about the system to accurately interpret the equation.
Dopplerganger
Hi all,
I'm trying to come up with velocity equations for a multi-enzymatic system and came across this velocity equation. Does anyone recognize this equation?
Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 12.59.57 PM.png

There was no citation or derivation and the variables were not explained. This is my guess:
  • P, Q, A, B are concentrations of some sort
  • Keq is the equilibrium constant
  • Ka, Kb, Kp, Kq are the Michaelis constants
I also find it odd that I found this under the "2 substrates" section, because it seems like there are 4 substrates here. If anyone has anything to contribute regarding this equation, I'd be very thankful!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am a scientist with experience in enzymology and I may be able to help with your question. The velocity equation you have mentioned appears to be a general equation for a multi-enzymatic system, and is commonly used in biochemical kinetics. However, without more information about the specific system and variables involved, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer.

Based on the variables you have mentioned, it seems like this equation may be describing a reaction involving two substrates (P and Q) and two enzymes (A and B). The equilibrium constant (Keq) would represent the ratio of products to substrates at equilibrium, while the Michaelis constants (Ka, Kb, Kp, and Kq) would indicate the substrate concentrations at which the enzymes are half-saturated.

It is possible that this equation was derived from a specific experimental system or model, so it would be helpful to know where you found it. Additionally, it may be useful to provide more context and information about the system you are studying, such as the type of reaction or the specific enzymes and substrates involved. This would allow for a more accurate interpretation of the equation and its potential applications.

I hope this helps, and I would be happy to discuss this further if you have any additional information or questions. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Recognize this irreversible equation for kinetic modeling?

1. What is an irreversible equation for kinetic modeling?

An irreversible equation for kinetic modeling is a mathematical representation of a chemical reaction that only proceeds in one direction and cannot be reversed. It describes the rate at which reactants are converted into products over time.

2. How is an irreversible equation used in kinetic modeling?

An irreversible equation is used in kinetic modeling to predict the behavior of a chemical reaction over time. It allows scientists to determine the rate at which a reaction occurs and the concentration of reactants and products at different time points.

3. What are the key components of an irreversible equation for kinetic modeling?

The key components of an irreversible equation for kinetic modeling are the rate constant, which is a measure of the reaction rate, and the concentration of reactants and products. These components are used to calculate the rate of the reaction at any given time.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of an irreversible equation?

The accuracy of an irreversible equation for kinetic modeling can be affected by several factors, such as the temperature, pressure, and presence of catalysts. Reaction conditions can also impact the rate of the reaction and therefore affect the accuracy of the equation.

5. How is an irreversible equation validated in kinetic modeling?

An irreversible equation for kinetic modeling is validated by comparing its predictions to experimental data. If the calculated rate and concentration values closely match the observed values, then the equation is considered to be valid and can be used to further study the reaction.