Reasons why % yield would be so low, synthesis of zinc iodide

In summary, In a Chem lab, zinc iodide was synthesized by adding 1g granulated zinc, 2ml distilled water, and 4 drops of 2 M acetic acid to 1g of iodide. Excess zinc was removed using a gravity filter, resulting in a 94% recovery rate. However, after drying the zinc iodide on a hotplate, there was some popping and splattering, potentially leading to a lower yield of 39.7%. The low yield could also be due to other factors, such as the heating temperature of the zinc iodide.
tatiana_eggs

Homework Statement

In my Chem lab we synthesized zinc iodide.

To 1g granulated zinc, 2ml distilled water and 4 drops of 2 M acetic acid was added. Then 1g of iodide. The mixture was agitated and several minutes later the reaction completed.

There was some excess zinc, so we set up a gravity filter and poured the contents of the test tube on the filter paper. The zinc iodide dripped through the filter into an evaporating dish. We dried and weighed the excess zinc. The percent of zinc recovered was normal, about 94%. I know where we could have lost some excess zinc.

On a hotplate we dried the zinc iodide, removing the water by evaporation. There was some popping and splattering of the zinc iodide crystals so I know that we could have lost a bit of product there.

My main question is where else could we have lost some of the product, zinc iodide? Our percent yield was 39.7%. This might be normal, I'm not sure.

Can you suggest some other reasons why our percent yield was so low? My calculations are correct for the theoretical yield and actual.

[tex]\frac{.5g}{1.258g}[/tex] = 39.7%

Physics news on Phys.org
How hot did you heat the zinc iodide?

medium to medium-low, to prevent splattering

Related to Reasons why % yield would be so low, synthesis of zinc iodide

1. What are the possible reasons for a low yield in the synthesis of zinc iodide?

There are several factors that can contribute to a low yield in the synthesis of zinc iodide. These include impurities in the starting materials, incomplete reactions, improper reaction conditions, and loss of product during isolation or purification.

2. How can impurities affect the yield of zinc iodide?

Impurities in the starting materials can hinder the reaction by competing for reactants or interfering with the reaction mechanism. This can result in a lower yield of zinc iodide.

3. What are some potential sources of error that could lead to a low yield in the synthesis of zinc iodide?

Sources of error can include inaccurate measurements of reactants, variations in reaction conditions, and incomplete removal of water or other byproducts from the reaction mixture.

4. Can the yield of zinc iodide be improved?

Yes, there are several steps that can be taken to improve the yield of zinc iodide. These include using high-quality starting materials, optimizing reaction conditions, and carefully monitoring the reaction to ensure it is complete.

5. Why is it important to have a high yield in the synthesis of zinc iodide?

A high yield is important because it indicates the efficiency of the reaction and the amount of product that can be obtained. A low yield means that a significant amount of the starting materials are wasted, which can be costly and time-consuming in large-scale production.