Reason the early Universe was opaque?

In summary: Apparently the early universe was opaque because the atoms were ionized. I'm wondering, why do electrons scatter photons but atoms don't? I'm presuming it's the electrons that do the scattering.Atoms are electrically neutral overall and, thanks to their quantized energy levels, don't react very well to electric fields compared to free charges like you find in a plasma. In other words, an electric field cannot cause a whole atom to move since it's neutral, but it can cause an electron and a proton to move when they are unbound in a plasma. It's only when the frequency is just right that an electronic/nuclear transition can take place and the atom can absorb a photon.
PeterPeter
Apparently the early universe was opaque because the atoms were ionized.

I'm wondering, why do electrons scatter photons but atoms don't?

I'm presuming it's the electrons that do the scattering.

Space news on Phys.org
PeterPeter said:

Atomic nuclei formed at about 3 minutes after the singularity but entire atoms didn't form until about 400,000 thousand years after so until that time there were no full atoms to even BE ionized. This was all because the energy plasma that was the early universe was SO energetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#mediaviewer/File:History_of_the_Universe.svg

phinds said:
Atomic nuclei formed at about 3 minutes after the singularity but entire atoms didn't form until about 400,000 thousand years after so until that time there were no full atoms to even BE ionized. This was all because the energy plasma that was the early universe was SO energetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#mediaviewer/File:History_of_the_Universe.svg

But there must have been equal numbers of + and - charges (I'm assuming here) so there would have been ions and electrons - even if they had never met up with each other before.

PeterPeter said:

Atoms are electrically neutral overall and, thanks to their quantized energy levels, don't react very well to electric fields compared to free charges like you find in a plasma. In other words, an electric field cannot cause a whole atom to move since it's neutral, but it can cause an electron and a proton to move when they are unbound in a plasma. It's only when the frequency is just right that an electronic/nuclear transition can take place and the atom can absorb a photon.

The basis of the quantum mechanical model for atoms is that an isolated atom can only exist in certain energy (quantum) states. EM can be emitted or absorbed by transitions between these discrete states - i.e. only specific, characteristic wavelengths. When white light is shone through a gas, the gas will absorb only the wavelengths corresponding to its emission spectrum.
A free electron can have any energy state so it can transition from its present state to any other - absorbing any wavelength.
A bit of repetition there - sorry.

Related to Reason the early Universe was opaque?

1. Why was the early Universe opaque?

The early Universe was opaque because of the high energy and density of particles. This caused frequent interactions between particles, making it difficult for photons of light to travel freely through space.

2. How long did the early Universe remain opaque?

The early Universe remained opaque for about 380,000 years after the Big Bang. This is known as the "photon epoch" and ended when the Universe cooled enough for atoms to form, allowing photons to move freely.

3. What caused the Universe to become transparent?

The cooling and expansion of the Universe allowed for atoms to form, which made the Universe less dense and allowed photons to travel freely. This process is known as recombination.

4. How do we know that the early Universe was opaque?

Scientists have observed the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation, which is the remnant heat from the Big Bang. This radiation is mostly uniform, with small fluctuations. These fluctuations are evidence of the early Universe being opaque and undergoing recombination.

5. What information can we learn from studying the opacity of the early Universe?

Studying the opacity of the early Universe can provide insights into the conditions of the Universe shortly after the Big Bang. It can also help us understand the formation of atoms and the evolution of the Universe over time.