Rearrange for x. Is this even possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to an MRI signal equation and the attempt to derive an equation to find the maximum point of f(x). The equation is given as 0 = ax-1.5 + be-cx * (cx-0.5 + 0.5x-1.5), and it is questioned whether it is possible to rearrange for x and what technique should be used. It is suggested to multiply through by x1.5 and use iterative methods or special functions like the Lambert W function. An alternate solution is also proposed, using plotting techniques to find the intersections of the two functions.
OrganDonor
Hi all,

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem related to an MRI signal equation. Essentially I want to derive an equation that can tell me the point at which f(x) is maximum. I have differentiated with respect to x and double checked that there are no errors.

But now I am stumped at how to rearrange for x. Or even if it is possible to rearrange for x. Here is the equation:

Homework Equations

0 = ax-1.5 + be-cx * (cx-0.5 + 0.5x-1.5)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it possible to rearrange for x? If so what technique should be used? I am happy to have a go at doing the algebra myself but I'm completely stumped!

Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there's no algebraic way to rearrange this. You could simplify it greatly by multiplying through by x1.5. If c is small you could expand the exponential as a power series, multiply out, discard terms beyond x2, and solve the quadratic. You could then improve on that by iterative methods.

As haruspex said, you can start by multiplying through by [itex]x^{1.5}[/itex] to get [itex]0= a+ be^{-cx}(cx+ 0.5)[/itex]. If you let y= bcx+ 0.5b, x= ((y/b)- 0.5)/c the equation becomes [itex]0= a+ ye^{y/bc}e^{0.5/c}[/itex]. Divide both sides by bc and you have [itex]0= a/bc+ (y/bc)e^{y/bc}e^{0.5/c}[/itex] which is the same as [itex](y/bc)e^{y/bc}= -ae^{-0.5/c}/bc[/itex].

Let z= y/bc and it becomes [itex]ze^x= -ae^{-0.5/c}/bc[/itex]. The solution to that is [itex]z= y/bc= W(-ae^{-0.5/c}/bc)[/itex] so that [itex]y= bcx+ 0.5b=bcW(-ae^{-0.5/c}/bc)[/itex] and [itex]x= W(-ae^{-0.5/c}/bc)- 0.5/c[/itex].

There "is no algebraic way to rearrange this" because W, the "Lambert W function", used above, is not an "elementary function". It is defined as the inverse function to [itex]f(x)= xe^x[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternate Solution

Apart from using special functions you can use plotting techniques to obtain elements in the solution set.

Solve the equation into two functions of x on either side of the equal sign.

-ax^-1.5/ (cx^-.5+.5x^-1.5)= be^-cx

This can be simplified to

-a/(cx+.5)= be^-cx taking that x≠0 (which is a solution in itself).

Plotting these two functions on the same axes will show the intersections of the graph i.e. where they are equal to each other.

Like I said, this is just an alternate way to doing this problem without knowledge of special functions (but with knowledge of some language like maple or mathematica).

Related to Rearrange for x. Is this even possible?

1. What does it mean to "rearrange for x"?

When a mathematical equation is rearranged for a specific variable, it means that the equation is manipulated to isolate that variable on one side of the equation. This allows us to easily solve for the variable and find its value.

2. How do I know when an equation can be rearranged for x?

An equation can be rearranged for any variable as long as that variable is present in the equation. If the equation includes multiple variables, it may be necessary to rearrange for a different variable in order to solve for x.

3. Can any equation be rearranged for x?

Yes, any equation can be rearranged for x as long as x is present in the equation. However, some equations may require more complex algebraic manipulation in order to isolate x.

4. Is there a specific method for rearranging equations for x?

There are various methods for rearranging equations, but the most commonly used method is known as the "inverse operations" method. This involves using inverse operations, such as addition/subtraction and multiplication/division, to isolate x on one side of the equation.

5. Why is it important to be able to rearrange equations for x?

Rearranging equations for a specific variable allows us to solve for that variable and find its value. This is important in many scientific and mathematical fields, as it allows us to make predictions and solve complex problems.