Rear Wheel Driven Car Rolling Friction

In summary, friction always opposes slipping between surfaces and accelerates the car in the same direction as its motion. During acceleration, the friction on the rear tires acts towards the front, while the friction on the front tires acts towards the back. The magnitude of friction may be greater on the rear tires, as they are responsible for propelling the car forward.
pcdagr8
if a rear wheel driven car is accelerated
i think...
1. on rear wheels friction is forward
2 on front wheels it is backward

my questions-
1.wats d direction of rolling friction on the car as a whole?(is dis question correct?)

2.which wheel will have greater magnitude of friction??

Physics news on Phys.org
friction is always in direction opposite that of motion.

denverdoc said:
friction is always in direction opposite that of motion.

going by your logic
You mean in pure rolling motion the friction should act backward??

friction opposes slipping between surfaces

A better way to describe friction is to say that it always opposes slipping between surfaces. Consider the rear tires. Without friction, they would just spin, slipping to the rear with respect to the road. Friction with the road opposes that slipping by acting towards the front. The friction accelerates the car forward, so friction and the car's motion are in the same direction.

Thanks Al, a nice explanation. I was only considering situation where there was already angular velocity and see now problem asks during acceleration. My bad.

Thanks Al !:smile:
but u haven't answered my second question...
please see if u can tell me something about it.

Related to Rear Wheel Driven Car Rolling Friction

1. What is rolling friction in a rear wheel driven car?

Rear wheel driven cars have a drivetrain that delivers power from the engine to the rear wheels, causing them to rotate and move the car forward. As the wheels roll on the road, there is a force called rolling friction that opposes the motion and causes resistance.

2. How does rolling friction affect the performance of a rear wheel driven car?

Rolling friction can impact the acceleration and fuel efficiency of a rear wheel driven car. The greater the rolling friction, the more energy is required to overcome it, resulting in a slower acceleration and lower fuel efficiency.

3. What factors contribute to the amount of rolling friction in a rear wheel driven car?

There are several factors that can affect the amount of rolling friction in a rear wheel driven car, including the type and condition of the tires, the weight of the car, and the surface of the road. The type of surface and the condition of the tires can have the biggest impact on rolling friction.

4. How can the rolling friction in a rear wheel driven car be reduced?

To reduce rolling friction in a rear wheel driven car, it is important to maintain proper tire pressure and ensure that the tires are in good condition. Using low rolling resistance tires can also help to reduce friction and improve fuel efficiency. Additionally, keeping the car's weight as low as possible can also decrease rolling friction.

5. How does rear wheel drive compare to other types of drivetrains in terms of rolling friction?

Rear wheel drive typically has higher rolling friction compared to front wheel drive and all wheel drive. This is because the weight of the car is distributed more towards the back, causing more pressure on the rear wheels. However, rear wheel drive can also provide better handling and traction in certain driving conditions.