Real vs complex spherical harmonics for hexagonal symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of real and complex spherical harmonics for hexagonal symmetry and their association with a finite Lz. The position representation of an eigenvector of Lz is a standard complex spherical harmonic, with a corresponding expression in spherical coordinates. The question of any relation between crystal symmetry and these harmonics is raised, as well as a method for determining their superiority.
Junaidjami
TL;DR Summary
Orbital analysis of magnetic anisotropy energy using second order perturbation theory for hexagonal symmetry
1684995728053.png

Are real spherical harmonics better than complex spherical harmonics for hexagonal symmetry, which are
directly associated to a finite Lz?

Physics news on Phys.org
An eigenvector of ##L_z## in position representation is a standard complex spherical harmonic, i.e.,
$$\text{Y}_{lm}=P_{lm}[\cos(\vartheta)] \exp(\mathrm{i} m \varphi).$$
Note that in spherical coordinates the position representation of ##\hat{L}_z## reads
$$\hat{L}_z=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_{\varphi}.$$

vanhees71 said:
An eigenvector of ##L_z## in position representation is a standard complex spherical harmonic, i.e.,
$$\text{Y}_{lm}=P_{lm}[\cos(\vartheta)] \exp(\mathrm{i} m \varphi).$$
Note that in spherical coordinates the position representation of ##\hat{L}_z## reads
$$\hat{L}_z=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_{\varphi}.$$

vanhees71 said:
Is there any relation between the crystal symmetry and real/complex spherical harmonics? And is there a way to judge the superiority of one over the other?