Real Analysis problem (easy), Triangle inequality

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the inequality abs(sum(a[i], i = 1 .. n)) <= sum(abs(a[i]), i = 1 .. n) where a[1], a[2], a[3], .. , a[n] are arbitrary real numbers. The approach to prove this inequality is through induction, starting with the base case n=1 and then assuming it's true for n=k and proving it for n=k+1. The use of the triangle inequality is also mentioned in the proof.
Levis2

Homework Statement

> a[1], a[2], a[3], .. , a[n] are arbitrary real numbers, prove that;

abs(sum(a, i = 1 .. n)) <= sum(abs(a), i = 1 .. n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have uploaded my attempt as a pdf file, since I'm not too familiar with the practice of writing it with correct notation on this great site :) i apologize. I am a 17-year old HS student, so i apologize if my attempt is way off or seems a bit thick .. This analysis is all new to me :)

Attachments

• induction.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 303
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right approach, but be a little careful about your logic. You're using "OK, I want to prove statement A. But statement A implies statement B. Statement B is true, so statement statement A is true. " This is bad logic; let's say I want to prove 1=0. I add 5 to both sides to get 6=5 and I multiply both sides by 0 to get 0=0. This is true so 6=5! See what I mean? xP But it is kinda easy to do that--especially in these cases. xP

Anyway, in your case what you want to do is prove that it's true for n=1. (It's obviously true. o.o) Then, assume it's true for n=k. Add [itex]|a_{k+1}|[/itex] to both sides and use the triangle inequality on the left. Hence, the inequality is true for all natural numbers.

Remember, induction is proving that IF n=k is true, THEN n=k+1 is true, which is what I did above. (Proving that n=1 is true, of course. xD)

Related to Real Analysis problem (easy), Triangle inequality

1. What is the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side.

2. How is the Triangle Inequality Theorem used in Real Analysis?

In Real Analysis, the Triangle Inequality Theorem is used to prove and solve various problems involving triangles, such as proving inequalities and determining the range of possible values for a triangle's sides.

3. What is an easy example of a problem involving the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

An easy example would be to determine if a triangle with side lengths 3, 4, and 9 is a valid triangle. Using the Triangle Inequality Theorem, we can see that 3 + 4 = 7, which is less than 9. Therefore, this is not a valid triangle.

4. Can the Triangle Inequality Theorem be extended to other shapes?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality Theorem can be extended to other polygons with more than three sides. It can also be applied to other shapes, such as circles and ellipses, in the context of Real Analysis.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the Triangle Inequality Theorem. For example, in non-Euclidean geometries, such as hyperbolic geometry, the theorem may not hold true. Additionally, in special cases where one side of a triangle has a length of zero, the theorem does not apply.