Reading .xls in java using Apache POI

In summary, the conversation is about using Apache POI, a Java API, to perform basic math and numerical integration on numbers stored in a .xls file. The conversation includes questions about installation, usage, and distribution of the API. The speaker is new to this technology and is seeking help.
nkk2008
I have been given the task to write a program that does some basic math and numerical integration on numbers. Those numbers are stored in a .xls file. I have looked online and have seen the Apache POI and whatnot, but I have some serious problems stemming from my total lack of knowledge:

How would I install the binaries at http://poi.apache.org/download.html ? I am running Ubuntu 10.04.

After installation, do I just use import and package to use them in the program? What exactly do I say? I only need HSSF. I use Eclipse, but may dabble in Netbeans, if that makes any difference.

Once I actually implement them, what if I need to package my program and use it on multiple computers? Would that be easy? I have no idea how to package a program for use (I know I have to make a .jar, but that is it), but that is a bridge to cross later. What I need to know is if it will be easy to use this API on other machines. Will the parts I import be packaged in the jar? Will the other computer (not the one used to develop the program) need to install the Apache POI?

As you can see, I am totally new at this. I am good at actually coding and the logical part of the process, but I am totally lost when it comes to actually doing anything with my code other than running it within my IDE. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nkk

Technology news on Phys.org
Without actually LOOKING at the downloads I would expect that the files contain java jars that have the classes described in the javadoc section of the pages you linked. You will need a gzip (or probably just zip) program to unzip and a tar program to install them someplace. There might even be instructions included if you poke deep enough.

As to using them, I would hope that there is some high level user doc, or at least example programs, included or on that site someplace. It looks like you might be interested in the "hssf" -- Horrible SpreadSheet Format -- package.

When you distribute your program you will need to include the relevant packages and jars from the POI project along with your own code and classes. You will have to look at the licensing requirements to see what you need to do to redistribute. It is possible to make "executable jars" that double-click-run on Windoze, but I forget the full process.

Related to Reading .xls in java using Apache POI

What is Apache POI?

Apache POI (Poor Obfuscation Implementation) is a Java library used for reading and writing Microsoft Office file formats, including .xls files used in Excel. It provides a set of API classes and methods for manipulating these files.

Why use Apache POI to read .xls files in Java?

Apache POI offers a simple and efficient way to access and manipulate data in .xls files, making it a popular choice for Java developers. It also supports a wide range of Excel features, such as formatting, formulas, and charts, making it a powerful tool for data analysis and reporting.

How do I add Apache POI to my Java project?

To use Apache POI in your Java project, you can download the library from the official website and add it to your project's classpath. Alternatively, you can use a build tool such as Maven or Gradle to automatically manage dependencies and download the POI library for you.

Can Apache POI read and write other file formats besides .xls?

Yes, Apache POI supports reading and writing various file formats, including .xlsx, .docx, and .pptx. It also supports older versions of these file formats, such as .xls and .doc. However, the level of support may vary for each format, so it is best to consult the documentation for more details.

Are there any limitations to using Apache POI for reading .xls files?

While Apache POI is a powerful tool for reading and writing .xls files, there are some limitations to be aware of. For example, it may not support all the features of the latest Excel version, and it may not work well with large or complex files. It is always recommended to test and validate your code with different types of .xls files before using it in production.