Reading Feynmann's Lectures in the Holidays.

In summary,These holidays, you should start with Feynman's lecture series 1-3. It will take a while to comprehend all the material in it, and work problems. Years, if its your first serious exposure to physics. I recommend skimming for what interests you, but doubtless, it is worth it.
whitay
I'm wanting to read some physics text these holidays. Would you recommend starting with Feynmann's lecture series 1-3? I can get this for approx. $99 AUD. Then I heard that Quantum Theory by David Bohm was also good and I would therefore proceed with Bohm's text following Feynmann's. Any suggestions?

Note: I would also certainly do some of the problems as I go. So not just reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
whitay said:
I'm wanting to read some physics text these holidays. Would you recommend starting with Feynmann's lecture series 1-3? I can get this for approx. $99 AUD. Then I heard that Quantum Theory by David Bohm was also good and I would therefore proceed with Bohm's text following Feynmann's. Any suggestions?

Note: I would also certainly do some of the problems as I go. So not just reading.

"These holidays" is not enough time , with any stretch of imagination, to go through Feynman lectures. Start with Feynman, it will take a lot of time to comprehend all the material in it, and work problems. Years, if its your first serious exposure to physics.

I have completed physics courses previously. In relativity, quantum and electromagnetism. However that was over a year ago and well Feynman's Lecture series has always been on my list of to dos however never really found the time until now and also was not sure of the length of Feynman's series and how long it would take me.

whitay said:
I have completed physics courses previously. In relativity, quantum and electromagnetism. However that was over a year ago and well Feynman's Lecture series has always been on my list of to dos however never really found the time until now and also was not sure of the length of Feynman's series and how long it would take me.

Oh, it takes a while. I've had the full set (deluxe hardback edition) for over ten years now, and I have not "read through it" yet. There are certain parts that I have gone over several times (his general description on energy is great). And other parts that I really can not comprehend (a lot of the necessary math is just gone, and some I really never knew [such as the <ket||bra> stuff ]). There are sections that are "classic," such as gravitation, and sections that are forgettable (I can't remember which).

I recommend skimming for what interests you, but doubtless, it is worth it.

I picked http://books.google.com/books?id=BP6qtXsxFYQC&dq=Six+Easy+Pieces:+Essentials+of+Physics+Explained+by+Its+Most+Brilliant+Teacher&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=dRIQS6f-EpHplAe3xpmOBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false"because it seemed to be an amount that was in a format to make it more easily digestible. Then again I am amateur, as it has to do with physics. My background is in biomechanics and all I had in college was a basic physics class, pretty tuff stuff. I am reading it for the second time currently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that book written in German and have read about half way through. But I've never had time to go back to it because I've had other things to read which also interest me.

Related to Reading Feynmann's Lectures in the Holidays.

1. What are "Feynmann's Lectures"?

"Feynmann's Lectures" refer to a series of physics lectures given by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. They are considered a classic and comprehensive introduction to physics for both students and enthusiasts.

2. Why should I read "Feynmann's Lectures" during the holidays?

Reading "Feynmann's Lectures" during the holidays allows for a more relaxed and focused approach to learning. It also provides an opportunity to deepen understanding and knowledge of physics without the added pressure of academic deadlines.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge to understand "Feynmann's Lectures"?

While some background knowledge in physics is helpful, "Feynmann's Lectures" are designed to be accessible to anyone with a basic understanding of math and science. Feynman's clear and engaging writing style also makes the lectures easy to follow.

4. Are "Feynmann's Lectures" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Feynmann's Lectures" are suitable for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of math and science concepts before diving into the lectures. It may also be helpful to supplement the lectures with additional resources for a deeper understanding.

5. Can I apply the concepts learned from "Feynmann's Lectures" in real-life situations?

Yes, the concepts discussed in "Feynmann's Lectures" are applicable in real-life situations. Feynman often uses examples and analogies from everyday life to explain complex concepts, making them easier to understand and apply in practical situations.